Sea Kittens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few months ago, a PETA member petitioned Ben and Jerry's to cease the use of cows milk in the manufacture of their ice cream. The alternative that was suggested? HUMAN BREAST MILK.

That be nuts.

Well, the biological function of cow milk is to feed young cows... so naturally, if we're feeding humans, doesn't it make sense to drink milk from our own species? I mean, if you think about it, drinking cow milk is WEIRD.

I stated that I am not a hypocrite as the usual response would be to ask if I eat hamburgers or have a leather jacket and equate that as being hypocritical.

Actually all I really wonder is what's your opinion on genetically altered crops? Random, I know, but it's the only question along those lines that I have.

The point is that I just stated that not everyone agrees that the people at PETA are nuts. I did not try to force anything on anyone.

It is difficult for me to understand how a person who could not bear to see a person injured in any way could put a metal hook through an animals head as a pastime.

It's also difficult for me to understand how PETA killed 90% of the adoptable animals in its care during 2005.

I doubt that PETA killed 90% of the animals in their care in 2005. If this is true please post your source for this info. If it is the case than it was the lesser of two evils. I would rather see animals at a shelter killed humanely than to starve, be tortured or spend their lives living in terrible conditions.

If you were serious about the genetically altered crops question...

I believe that they should have to be labeled as such leaving it to the consumers discretion whether or not to purchase them.

I doubt that PETA killed 90% of the animals in their care in 2005. If this is true please post your source for this info. If it is the case than it was the lesser of two evils. I would rather see animals at a shelter killed humanely than to starve, be tortured or spend their lives living in terrible conditions.

Here:Press Release | PETA (Still) Kills Animals

Check out 2006, a whopping 97%:Moonbattery: PETA's 2006 Kill Rate: 97% and DoggieNews: PETA Killed 97% of Companion Animals

Lesser of two evils, please - the shelters do a better job at placing animals.

I've got his source right here: Peta Kills Animals its actually 90.72% but whose counting anyway?

PS Google search is your friend

Well, the biological function of cow milk is to feed young cows... so naturally, if we're feeding humans, doesn't it make sense to drink milk from our own species? I mean, if you think about it, drinking cow milk is WEIRD.

Okay then, would YOU buy Ben and Jerry's Half-Baked *Now made with Real Person Milk*?

I stand corrected about their kill rate but stand by the fact that they have the grievous responsibility to kill homeless domestic animals in a painless way.

You do realize that the reason they end up at PETA is because of people who purchase animals and then get tired of them shortly after? They generally end up at PETA because they were abandoned and in no condition to fend for themselves.

Instead of blaming PETA look at the true source for this. People who treat animals as objects and breed them for money or buy them as an accessory of which they soon no longer desire.

PETA is an organization that fights for animal rights. They have done great work. If you did a little research and saw what takes place in medical laboratories, circuses, slaughterhouses and puppymills you may view things differently. Check out the video where dogs in china are skinned alive so they can use the fur on the edge of the hood of your winter coat.

PETA does not go out looking for animals to kill. They have to make the unfortunate decision to humanely kill animals. You can imagine the condition that the majority of these animals are in when they get them. Watch "animal cops" on the animal channel and you will get an idea of the abused animals that are brought to PETA as a last resort.

It is odd how people try so hard to portray such a selfless organization in a negative light while ignoring the many successes they have had in influencing the humane treatment of animals.

I can only imagine it helps those that feel guilt when they reflect upon their own actions.

I stand corrected about their kill rate but stand by the fact that they have the grievous responsibility to kill homeless domestic animals in a painless way.

You do realize that the reason they end up at PETA is because of people who purchase animals and then get tired of them shortly after? They generally end up at PETA because they were abandoned and in no condition to fend for themselves.

My local kill shelters have better placement rates then PETA, with PETA's budget it could place thousands of animals into caring homes, instead it kills them.

Instead of blaming PETA look at the true source for this. People who treat animals as objects and breed them for money or buy them as an accessory of which they soon no longer desire.

PETA is an organization that fights for animal rights. They have done great work. If you did a little research and saw what takes place in medical laboratories, circuses, slaughterhouses and puppymills you may view things differently. Check out the video where dogs in china are skinned alive so they can use the fur on the edge of the hood of your winter coat.

Yea - that would be China - this is America, we have rules and procedures that are much more efficient and humane. I HAVE done my research.

PETA does not go out looking for animals to kill. They have to make the unfortunate decision to humanely kill animals. You can imagine the condition that the majority of these animals are in when they get them. Watch "animal cops" on the animal channel and you will get an idea of the abused animals that are brought to PETA as a last resort.

The majority of the animals given to PETA will be just like those given to other shelters; shelters that actually care to place them.

It is odd how people try so hard to portray such a selfless organization in a negative light while ignoring the many successes they have had in influencing the humane treatment of animals.

Selfless organization?!? hahahahahaha, you have got to be kidding me. It's not hard, I barely have to try at all.
I can only imagine it helps those that feel guilt when they reflect upon their own actions.

What is this word, guilt? I have none of it.

Now with all that said - this has NOTHING to do with basic scuba, although the original topic about the sea-kitten campaign was somewhat interesting. So I suggest this be moved to a non-diving related forum.

Last edited:
as has been pointed out, changing the name to sea kittens is nothing more than a propaganda trick to be played on our young .. it will do nothing to curb the overfishing that is done by those whose minds that need to change.
Certainly not the hunters and their few and carefully selected fish, or game. ... Hunters supply more money for conservation than any other organization or group

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom