sea kayak dive platform = bad idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to run a kayak camp with 4 day kayak trips paddling around Catalina Island back in the mid-70s and guided kayak trips along our coast up into the last decade. Must admit I've never combined ocean kayaking with diving though, but many do it successfully.

I have used my Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro for many dives. I have not used it any for several years now but for a while it got a lot of use. It is a fun way to dive and opens up places that most cannot get to via shore access.

I would think a sea kayak or any sort of sit inside to be a horrid idea, a proper sit on top like the Scupper or Scrambler, it is easy and fun. The Scupper Pro TW is no longer made. It was a long, 16 feet almost, fast sit on top that could carry two tanks and cover long distances. Mine is rudder equipped. I love mine and look forward to using it again someday. Just cannot seem to convince the TSA that it is a carry on suitcase.

N

I used to run a kayak camp with 4 day kayak trips paddling around Catalina Island back in the mid-70s and guided kayak trips along our coast up into the last decade. Must admit I've never combined ocean kayaking with diving though, but many do it successfully.

I wonder if my brother did these with you. He did a camp---at Toyon bay I think---twice where they made kayaks then paddled around the island. I eventually bought the kayak he made and played with it in the surf for a few summers.

Hey Jcaplins, I love nearshore diving and created my Nearshore Dive Vehicle as a result of not finding any dive platforms that would meet my needs. I wanted something that would take me out to the nearshore reefs or jetties, then be able to be towed behind while looking down in the water. When I saw something interesting, I wanted to be tethered to the motorized paddleboard as well. I also wanted to have my dive flag mounted, but out of the way. Lastly I hate clutter, and decided to make a place for everything. Below is a picture of my finished product:wink:. You can also check out a Dive I did with it in Dania Florida, grabbing some lobster. So far, it is working even better than I thought. I will be in Dania at the end of January, if anyone wants a dive partner.
A

Last edited:
Hey Jcaplins, I love nearshore diving and created my Nearshore Dive Vehicle as a result of not finding any dive platforms that would meet my needs. I wanted something that would take me out to the nearshore reefs or jetties, then be able to be towed behind while looking down in the water. When I saw something interesting, I wanted to be tethered to the motorized paddleboard as well. I also wanted to have my dive flag mounted, but out of the way. Lastly I hate clutter, and decided to make a place for everything. Below is a picture of my finished product:wink:. You can also check out a Dive I did with it in Dania Florida, grabbing some lobster. So far, it is working even better than I thought. I will be in Dania at the end of January, if anyone wants a dive partner.
A

Interesting idea. I wouldn't have thought of motorizing a paddle-board, but that looks pretty good. How does the weight compare with a sit-on-top kayak?

I also have a late 70's early 80's fiberglass sit on top called a Vitog Nomad. I got it on a trade from a guy. It's a very early sit on top originally a take off from a lay on top which was propelled by laying on it and using arms and fins.
These Vitogs were very popular for a time but then Ocean Kayak came out and stole the market with the indestructable plastic boats that we have today.
Anyway, here is a pic of the Nomad

I had one that looked similar, was called a Rowyak or something along those lines. It was longer, wider, no side handles and weighted a ton. I sold it because you needed two people to carry the thing, and I was solo a lot. The Ocean Kayaks came out and I bought a Scrambler, made a carry strap and could carry it and all my Ab gear to the water in one trip.

Bob

I had one that looked similar, was called a Rowyak or something along those lines. It was longer, wider, no side handles and weighted a ton. I sold it because you needed two people to carry the thing, and I was solo a lot. The Ocean Kayaks came out and I bought a Scrambler, made a carry strap and could carry it and all my Ab gear to the water in one trip.

Bob
I know of one called a Royak, or as some people called them a "Rollak", because they had a rounded hull that was narrow and as a result were very unstable. They were fiberglass and bright yellow. You couldn't even look over the side without rolling off of it. The company had this brilliant idea to have the front compartment flood with water so when you paddled into an oncoming sea it would supposedly go through the wave smoother and not porpoise. I didn't personally think it was a great idea but whatever. Then I got talking to a guy who knew something about Royaks, he's a freediver around here for years (you might know him - Joe Gonzalves), anyway about that flooding feature, his response was it was a way to try and make them more stable by adding ballast and the flooding feature was a bunch of horse sh-t propaganda that they issued to try and cover for the bad design. He called them a huge POS and worthless, but then Joe has some pretty strong opinions about stuff.
He has a whole collection of lay on top dive boards and thinks they're the greatest thing since long fins, if that gives you an an idea of how long he's he's been around.

The inflatable by itself is only 27 lbs, vs 40 lbs. The inflatable that I use can carry up to 350 lbs. Obviously the rig (21lbs) and battery(either 4 or 25 lbs, depending on whether you use lithium or lead acid) will add weight. For hauling on your car roof, though, it is only 47 lbs. This is just the board and rig. You can see more details at www.nearshoredivevehicle.com

I use an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT.
It works excellent for me. I dive in 48 to 53 degree water in a wetsuit so it's easier to deal with paddling etc.
I keep everything on top, I don't open any hatches once I'm out there.
The rig goes in the back just like it's supposed to, the fins and all the rest of the stuff goes up front on top.
I have a small anchor I made which is clipped off on the front. Once I get out there I straddle the kayak and scooch forward to drop the anchor.
My weightbelt sits in front of me under my hamstrings and to put it on I either get in the water and roll it on or lay down in the kayak face up and put it on.
Once I'm in the water with my fins and weightbelt, mask, gloves, I inflate the wing on my rig and pull it in the water. I put it on in the water and go diving. When I return I do everything in reverse order and paddle back to shore for a tank change out.
Kayak diving is my favorite economical way to dive.

I also made a nice wheel dolly to roll the kayak loaded with gear from the truck to the shore.
I saves my back from carrying a lot of stuff.
Kayaks also make a wonderfull freediving platform and give us access to coves that are seldom dove for abalone.

I do exactly the same. Although I often bring a second tank and change it out so I don't have to paddle back in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom