sea kayak dive platform = bad idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcaplins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've wondered about using a sea kayak as a dive platform... because I have one and wanted to try it.

So I conducted a test to sea if the sea kayak could be used, even if not an ideal craft for the task.

short story: Absolutely horrible idea.

Longer story:
I did a shore dive from my Prijon Seayak, towing my BC and tank (wing fully inflated). Dive site was about 500 yards offshore. The drysuit and undergarments made sitting in the cockpit very tight; I was not able to have anything in the pockets or wear a weight belt. My feet had fallen asleep and were numb by the time I got to the site.

Paddling was very tiring. Range of motion was limited from wearing a drysuit and the tight cockpit so a proper paddling motion using core muscles was not possible, so I was just using my arms. Kayaks like to glide when paddled, having the tank and bc being towed was like like pulling against an anchor.

If you don't know how to get back in a kayak with waves and swells and not being able to touching the bottom, this could be a major problem. I have no problem getting back into a kayak, but it was easier to swim back to shore towing the kayak.

The only way, I can see, a sea kayak could be useful for diving would be to store all dive gear in the hatches, paddle to the closed land of the remote dive site, suit up and do a shore dive from there. (I may still try this)

have no problem with mine-----but, don't do(need) the drysuit thingy....Actually works out fairly easy--everything fits IN mine(no towing of anything done/needed)........

7666446398_d0609f29bb_o.jpg
[/URL]ready to go......Toledo Bend South State Park landing by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

I took a kayak diving class years ago and had a blast. Gear was stored in the fore and aft compartments and assembled at the dive site.

I used to do ocean kayaking in my college days and spent a lot of time swimming my kayak back to the beach, so was very surprised how stable the modern kayaks are.

I also found paddling in a drysuit to be uncomfortable so didn't continue with it. (Although I may have actually paddled out with my drysuit open and had my buddy zip me up there...I don't remember.)

If I had a wetsuit I'd consider kayak diving.

For diving, I use a sit-on-top, rather than a sit-in, kayak. It's much easier to get on and off. That said, I gave up kayak diving, too much trouble. I just swim now.

I use an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT.
It works excellent for me. I dive in 48 to 53 degree water in a wetsuit so it's easier to deal with paddling etc.
I keep everything on top, I don't open any hatches once I'm out there.
The rig goes in the back just like it's supposed to, the fins and all the rest of the stuff goes up front on top.
I have a small anchor I made which is clipped off on the front. Once I get out there I straddle the kayak and scooch forward to drop the anchor.
My weightbelt sits in front of me under my hamstrings and to put it on I either get in the water and roll it on or lay down in the kayak face up and put it on.
Once I'm in the water with my fins and weightbelt, mask, gloves, I inflate the wing on my rig and pull it in the water. I put it on in the water and go diving. When I return I do everything in reverse order and paddle back to shore for a tank change out.
Kayak diving is my favorite economical way to dive.

I also made a nice wheel dolly to roll the kayak loaded with gear from the truck to the shore.
I saves my back from carrying a lot of stuff.
Kayaks also make a wonderfull freediving platform and give us access to coves that are seldom dove for abalone.

I dive off a kayak exclusively. If you are using the kayak to get to shore dive spots, you're not using it right. I'm generally paddling up to two miles from the launch spot which opens up so many more dive spots.

I have used a sit-inside, but not a long sea kayak. Honestly, the cheapest sit-on-top is going to out-dive any sit-inside. You can regularly find cheapie deals well under $400.

Been diving for maybe two years off a scrambler 11. Work very well but all yaks have different stability... I think a sit on top is more the usual way to go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a late 70's early 80's fiberglass sit on top called a Vitog Nomad. I got it on a trade from a guy. It's a very early sit on top originally a take off from a lay on top which was propelled by laying on it and using arms and fins.
These Vitogs were very popular for a time but then Ocean Kayak came out and stole the market with the indestructable plastic boats that we have today.
Anyway, here is a pic of the Nomad

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 874
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom