Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I ever viewed a single episode of the series. In fifties and early sixties England, my family's only broadcast entertainment was the radio. My parents were convinced that a TV would interfere with their children's homework. I've a certain sympathy for that approach now I'm a teacher myself. I don't think I missed what we didn't have, but occasionally I found myself excluded from conversations with classmates about the previous evening's programmes.

My then knowledge of Mike Nelson came, I think, from the comic books that were a spin-off from the show. I recall lots of underwater scenes in those books where double hoses were severed by knives! I used to get a regular "comic" called the "Eagle" which provided a good level of edutainment - satisfying a thirst for knowledge as well as a source of much needed humour. One of the Eagle "annuals" contained a chapter entitled "Teach yourself to swim underwater". "Skin diving" was for us an exclusively American term; the dry suits of the fifties in the UK were officially called "underwater swim suits". The Eagle chapter inspired me to get my parents to buy me a set of basic equipment in my early teens and I was able to try the fins, mask and snorkel immediately in the safety of my local public swimming pool. No restrictive rules back then: I only came across those in the late 1960s when I was doing my higher education.

sam miller:
New question:

Zale Parry appeared in a diving/underwater series several years before Sea Hunt.
Q: What was the name of the series?
Q: Who was the star of the series?

FYI-- Zale Parry will be a Portage Quarry, Ohio in August 2007 for "Legends 11"

The National Association of Minor Diving Historians is closed.

Start guessing the answers to the above two questions related to the program that gave Zale her start in TV...

sdm

You know that watching a play or drama even on tv is a way of developing literacy.
After all Shakespear is much better attended than read. Tho there is often a lot of trash on tv still there is the good stuff. Sea Hunt is some of what is good. I made a vidio tape of about 19 episodes and droped it off at Hollywood divers. It is quite the rage and costomers are clamouing to know where they can get a copy.

I was talking to a person who doesn't dive today and she was asking me about an underwater scooter my wife and daughter surprised me with. She said is like what they had on Sea hunt? She then said how much she loved the show and watched it all the time.

"I have a question reagrding a movie that's like the Television Series, " Sea Hunt". I'm not sure if any of you out there have ever heard of the movie, " Sea Quest''. Is there any one out there who's heard of that Movie? The reason why I'm asking is because I've read a profile on one the Globe Trekker Team on that tv show called ''Pilot Guides. And Her name is Justine Shapiro, and she made that movie, " Sea Quest." I'm wondering if any of you have seen it. I've never seen it, but I've seen the movie as a Box set in the Music store called " Music World'' just recently'' Snorkel Corey.

Zale Parry appeared in a diving/underwater series several years before Sea Hunt.

Kingdom of the Sea
Many websites name Zale Parry herself as the star. I was unable to find a cast list for the series, but I managed to locate in the "Classic TV Archive" at

http://aa.1asphost.com/CTVA/US/Documentary/KingdomOfTheSea.htm

a supposed episode guide to the series. I say "supposed" because 1954 was cited elsewhere as the year when Zale Parry made her debut in "Kingdom of the Sea" while the TV archive comes up with "circa 1957" as the date of the series. That same source identifies the "hosts and narrators" as Bob Stevenson and John D. Craig. No other cast member is mentioned and the production company, listed elsewhere as "Jack Douglas Productions", is listed here as "unknown".

David Wilson:

Kingdom of the Sea
Many websites name Zale Parry herself as the star. I was unable to find a cast list for the series, but I managed to locate in the "Classic TV Archive" at

http://aa.1asphost.com/CTVA/US/Documentary/KingdomOfTheSea.htm

a supposed episode guide to the series. I say "supposed" because 1954 was cited elsewhere as the year when Zale Parry made her debut in "Kingdom of the Sea" while the TV archive comes up with "circa 1957" as the date of the series. That same source identifies the "hosts and narrators" as Bob Stevenson and John D. Craig. No other cast member is mentioned and the production company, listed elsewhere as "Jack Douglas Productions", is listed here as "unknown".

By Jove old chap you got it!
by the power of the electonic world and google-- You found it!

"Kingdom of the sea"

Don't believe every thing you read--Zale was a very young beatiful girl who had back in to diving and invited to appear on "Kingdom of the Sea."

So guess:

Q:Who was the host?
(you have a 50/50 chance on this one)

Q:Why was he the host?

sdm

dimb-jc.jpg

Craig.JPG

DANGER IS MY BUSINESS
John D. Craig
Copyright 1938.
Published by Simon and Schuster, Inc. New York
Hardcover, dustjacket, 309 pages, several mono prints.
The author was an adventurer in the true sense of the word. His diving activities take up most of the book, after adventures in Egypt, India and a number of other exotic places. He became a stunt diver for Hollywood director W.S. Van Dyke,sought treasure in the Caribean seas, engaged in salvage diving, and went looking for the Lusitania. A very interesting read, quite exciting at times, but of limited value as an historic diving record.
Also published by Literary Guild, New York, 1938. (Top cover).

---------------------------------------------------------

1963: Industry members form the Diving Equipment and Manufacturers Association (DEMA) - now known as the Diving Equipment and Marketing Association (also DEMA). A year later Richard Adcock establishes the first live-aboard dive boat in La Paz, Mexico. That year, the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation Department produces one of the first instructional films on recreational diving, Anyone for Diving?, narrated by Colonel John D. Craig and featuring appearances by Zale parry, Tommy Thompson and others.

----------------------------------------------

faces.gif

Known to commercial divers throughout the world DESCO was first organized in 1937 as a Wisconsin corporation under the name of Diving Equipment and Salvage Co. Its organization was the result of several events which occurred during the preceding years.

During the early 1930's, a Milwaukee diver, Max Gene Nohl, had received national publicity as the result of his salvage operations on a sunken steamship, the "John Dwight." This brought him to the attention of a Hollywood producer, Col. John D. Craig, a pioneer in underwater photography, who was interested in filming the possible salvage of the torpedoed Cunard liner, the "Lusitania," which lay in 312 feet of water off the Irish Coast. At that time, no equipment or reliable techniques were available for sustained diving operations at such a depth, and it was obvious that such a project would require both physiological experimentation and an advance in diving equipment design. Although no actual attempt was ever made to salvage the Lusitania due to the looming war in Europe, its challenge caused Nohl to join forces with two other Milwaukeeans. The first was Jack Browne who was also a diver. The second was Edgar End, M.D. of the Marquette University School of Medicine who was a pioneer in the new science of hyper baric physiology and medicine.

----------------------------------------------------

Back
Top Bottom