Sea Hunt DVDs are available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DHMO Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For anyone that is interested, the original Lloyd Bridges Sea Hunt episodes are available on DVD. All four seasons are available (usually) and there are 8 DVDs per season. They are being sold through Amazon.com by a guy in New York (jukebox_theater). A search of Amazon DVDs for "Lloyd Bridges Sea Hunt" will bring them up. They are a little pricy and sometimes a season is not immediately available.

Since my original training was DTBWSH (Divers Trained By Watching Sea Hunt) (Oh good, another acronym!) and I have just gotten back into diving, my wife and I were discussing the old series. I was in High School at the time and never missed an episode. Seriously, Sea Hunt was the reason I dove in the sixties. It ws either that or fly a helocopter (remember "Whirly Birds"?).

I got the first 2 years and they are "great". I had forgotten how many "noobie" actors were in the shows. Leonard Nemoy and Larry Hagman were in a couple and so were Beau and Jeff Bridges. Anyway, I guess our recent OW training wasn't too bad: my wife keeps picking out things like "he isn't blowing bubbles", "why is he climbing the ladder with his fins on", or "why is he carrying a bayonet".

It is also interesting as to how attitudes have changed sense then with regard to bottom banging, coral bashing, shark fear and so on. In one episode, "Killer Whale", Mike talks about the Coast Guard's network to track dangerous Orcas :butnhome: that are threatening divers and he helps kill one with an exploding harpoon. The times, they are a changing.

You have to remember it was television, then as now there are breaks with reality. That particular episode with the "killer" whale was mean and I don't think the CG ever really tracked them but it sounded good in the episode. I like picking out all of screw ups and there are many. I like the torpedo episode and in general how he always new exactly how many minutes he had left.

As to climbing the ladder with fins--why not--many people who dive from their own boats do that. That is why they make the single post "divers" ladders.

I have all the episodes but the quality is poor, are these high quality?

N

Nimrod,

The ones that I got though Amazon appear to be from Canadian TV. They start with a Mapleleaf and "G" rating. The quality is quite good.

When I said that they are a bit pricy, they run $30-40 USD.

As far as the Coast Guard thing, it was just an example. It was kind of fun to see a USCG cutter with out the Red Stripe.

Gordon

I bought the series that was on e-Bay. Like DHMO said, they do look like they are from Canadian TV, and I couldn't be happier with the quality

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom