Sea Elite Octo - slow free flow help - fix or buy a new octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbfifas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I purchased a Edge EXP regulator and 1st stage in a package deal with a console and Sea Elite SX30 octo in Jacksonville. Basically the octo was free and I thought it would be good for a while for my rec warm water diving 20-80' of water in Florida. It's a house brand for Diver supply.

After about 8 dives:
-I really like the Edge EXP, breathes very easily and has a nice flex hose with it. No free flow problems and has adjustable knob to help on that. Upgraded to a seacure mouth piece and its great reg set up.
-The Sea Elite Octo has started to constantly free flow, not full blast, but enough to be annoying and be concerned. I was not expecting much out of the octo but was hoping it would last me a year or two.

Options:
Considering this a cheap octo around $60 retail I'm not sure if I want to pay money to have it worked on.
-Is there a problem with the cracking pressure in the reg that I can work on? (taking in mind not certified but I am an engineer)
-Should I attempt and pay to have it fixed? I have sinced moved an 3 hours away.
-Should I pick up another Octo?
-I can remove octo and run one regulator? Concerns me safety wise diving 80' reefs vs 20' shallow dives.

I'm leaning towards maybe getting another reg. Considering I have the octo hose maybe I should just buy a HOG D1 (or edge escape) for ~$100 seeing as that price range is what other ocoto's are going for. Or I can pick up a used reg also.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brendon

Don't know the regulator you are talking about.. But it sounds like a simple adjustment of the crack pressure is needed... The shop you bought it from should do it for free.... Yes.... FREE..... :wink:

Jim...

Take it back to Diver's Supply. It probably just needs an orifice adjustment--about 5 minutes. Since you bought the reg there, they probably won't charge you, or at least they shouldn't. If you want to attempt it yourself, look at any brand's repair manual for a simple downstream second stage.

There MAY be a bigger issue here. If your primary second stage has a cracking pressure adjustment on it that you have cranked down so it does not freeflow or is balanced, the problem could also be a creeping first stage (not holding the proper IP). Before making any decision, I would suggest you buy an IP gauge ($15-20) and determine what stage is the trouble maker. If you don't, there is about a 50/50 chance you will not fix the problem. Every diver should have one and know how to use it. As for fixing it yourself, it's an easy fix (assuming it actually is the octo).

bbf,
The SX-30 is really a pretty good little 2nd stage. I have used them on my student training rigs. Is it slightly adjustment prone, hummmm.

In my opinion.
The problem you've addressed is not an unusual issue with the SX30. As the unit breaks in, it does need adjustment.
Also if you've removed the Reg from the hose and replaced without using two wrenches, you have likely moved the reg out of adjustment.

if you're uncomfortable working on the unit, stop by Deepsix Watersports in Vero and see Jim he should be able to help you. No they are not SE dealers but they are good folks.

or send it up to Alex at DS in Jax and he'll get it adjusted.

I'd see Jim first.

@bbf

If you don't have an IP gauge at hand and want to find out which stage probably causes the free flow , then just put the regulator on a tank and open the valve.
Press the purge button and watch when the the free flow starts. If it starts right away, the problem is probably the 2ns stage, if it takes a couple of seconds before the free flow starts, it is probably the 1st stage which has a problem.

Either way, I would go back to the shop and ask them to fix that for free if any abuse of the regulator in those eight dives can be excluded.

Probably it's just a small problem.

Good luck!

Just wanted to update that this problem was solved. LDS aid it was and adjustment in the 2nd stage, took him 5 minutes, no charge. Very happy. Thanks for the responses and help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom