SE Florida post Irma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got down today following Irma. Tried to line up a dive for tomorrow but no luck. Seas are up tomorrow. Nobody going out from Boynton Beach, JDC not going out, I was the only one who called my most reliable operator in bigger seas, Narcosis, in West Palm.

OK, I will be here through Oct 2. I will get out and you will here about it.

Good diving, Craig

Narcosis Dive Company

Looks like they have at last made it out post Irma. Have you been on the boat since it changed ownership?
Not yet, but I will. Captain Alex answered the phone when I called this afternoon, I think he sounded a little disappointed that I was the only diver to call for tomorrow. I look forward to seeing Finch again :)

My buddy Greg (who lives in West Palm Beach) & I were planning to go with Narcosis on the 7th to Mizpah Corridor (MC), but Irma said to get the h*ll out. So, I went to Channel Islands, CA instead Anacapa Diving, Sep 8-9, 2017, Trip Report. But Greg is still planning to dive in MC, as soon as the coast is clear. So, you might see him in Narcosis.

Last edited:
Not yet, but I will. Captain Alex answered the phone when I called this afternoon, I think he sounded a little disappointed that I was the only diver to call for tomorrow. I look forward to seeing Finch again :)
Unfortunately Finch is just the same. :wink::D and its still a good boat but it definitely has a different feel with the new owner. Which I guess is to be expected. More cautious, long safety briefing and less of a family feel but of course he doesn't know us. And Alex has really big shoes to fill. There just isn't anyone quite like Capt Van.

Just got down today following Irma. Tried to line up a dive for tomorrow but no luck. Seas are up tomorrow. Nobody going out from Boynton Beach, JDC not going out, I was the only one who called my most reliable operator in bigger seas, Narcosis, in West Palm.

OK, I will be here through Oct 2. I will get out and you will here about it.

Good diving, Craig
We went out yesterday morning with JDC. I couldn't believe how broken up the reef (Captain Kirles) was. Big pieces of broken coral, broken barrel sponges, lots of other broken vegetation. There was sand everywhere. Kind of disorienting, too. It was hard to see anything familiar about the reef. We did see lionfish, lobsters, and quite a few tropical fish. There was a lot of surge which wasn't surprising. When we finished our second dive, getting on the boat was a little tough. Waves were 4-5 ft. I pray we won't get hit again with Hurricane Maria brewing in the Atlantic. Enough is enough. I'm so sorry for all of our SB friends in the Keys and I hope everyone is safe. It's so sad to watch TV and see the devastation.

I clicked "like" but that really doesn't fit. Sorrow for the reef and I can't imagine how the reefs and wrecks in the keys faired. Sympathy for all.

We went out yesterday morning with JDC. I couldn't believe how broken up the reef (Captain Kirles) was. Big pieces of broken coral, broken barrel sponges, lots of other broken vegetation. There was sand everywhere. Kind of disorienting, too. It was hard to see anything familiar about the reef. We did see lionfish, lobsters, and quite a few tropical fish. There was a lot of surge which wasn't surprising. When we finished our second dive, getting on the boat was a little tough. Waves were 4-5 ft. I pray we won't get hit again with Hurricane Maria brewing in the Atlantic. Enough is enough. I'm so sorry for all of our SB friends in the Keys and I hope everyone is safe. It's so sad to watch TV and see the devastation.

Thanks for your report, Carol and Jim! Was the viz OK?

The viz was bad. About 30 feet. But the water was warm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom