SDI vs PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is misleading. There is no requirement for any agency to follow those standards.

How is that misleading? In order to maintain membership in the WRSTC, member agencies must meet WRSTC training standards.

But how can that be, when SDI only has 25% FEWER letters than PADI?

It just doesn't add up!

:confused:

It adds up, but it doesn't add down.

Agencies with low standards are not worth considering.

It is misleading because you are implying that all agencies have similar standards.

SDI or PADI???

I can't even imagine someone asking this question. Have you even been to the PADI website? What does it say?

PADI: The Way The World Learns to Dive.

That really says it all doesn't it? I mean like:

1. We are all part of this world.
2. PADI is the way the world learns to dive.
3. Therefore, it is the way we (the world) should learn to dive.

How can it be any clearer than that?

(I feel as if someone should "Thank" me for this useful post)

PADI has 33% more letters than SDI, so I imagine it's better.

Yes, but if you assign each letter a number -ie- A=1, B=2, etc

PADI=30

SDI=32

So SDI comes out ahead... (did I really take the time figure that out ??!? :confused: YIKES, it must be a slow day at work...)

Agencies with low standards are not worth considering.

So you would rather see 95% of the population not scuba diving, than diving with training that international organizations have decided meet minimum requirements for safe diving?

Sorry, what is worth considering, in terms of training, is what is actually available.

It is misleading because you are implying that all agencies have similar standards.

I'm implying that those agencies which are readily available have similar standards.

Kingpatzer:
So you would rather see 95% of the population not scuba diving, than diving with training that international organizations have decided meet minimum requirements for safe diving?

It doesn't matter what you or I want. The fact is divers make up far less than 5% of the population. More than 95% of the population is not diving regardless of the training available.

Every organization that trains divers will tell us that their training meets minimum requirements for safe diving. We don't have to believe it and I don't for many of them.

I don't care who trains divers, or what their standards might be. Adults should have the right to choose whatever training they think is best suited to their needs. They are welcome to dive with no training at all. My objection is to misinforming people about their choices.

Kingpatzer:
I'm implying that those agencies which are readily available have similar standards.

Fair enough, I don't see much of a difference between PADI & SDI either. I would suggest being more specific to avoid misunderstandings in the future.

"Agencies" with next to no presence really aren't worth considering. And as far as I am aware, SEI is not part of the WRSTC, which pretty well doesn't answer the question.

Yeah, I'd be sure to steer clear of groups like GUE, UTD, NACD, NSS-CDS, etc that "have next to no presence" since what they'll teach you isn't really worth considering.

Yeah, I'd be sure to steer clear of groups like GUE, UTD, NACD, NSS-CDS, etc that "have next to no presence" since what they'll teach you isn't really worth considering.

When it comes to recreational diving, they don't matter and what they'll teach is largely unnecessary.

I don't need to have a PhD in English Literature to read Harry Potter books either.

Uh, guys remember that this thread was most likely originally started by a :troll:, so let's not give him what he wants by letting it get ugly.

Back
Top Bottom