SDI Solo training in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever the reasons or source of origin, it is the prevailing policy and it does seem to be bit outdated. I have found an op on GC that does not have the same issue and works well for me (and no I don't think I will throw out the name here for risk of CITA coming down on them). I do think from what I see elsewhere on other islands that ops are reluctantly permitting it if you have the cert and properly equipped with redundant air. Gowest in CUR has modified there policy that did prohibit it but now will permit it on their house reef if solo cert and properly equipped.

Any idea why?

No, I think due to the nature of how things work here, change just takes time.

Why would Divetech teach solo and self reliant diver with no option to practice off Grand Cayman?

The vast majority of our instructors come here from other parts of the world, and they are all certified to teach different specialties that don't apply here. Cave, or drysuit are also examples, although we've actually taught 1 drysuit class here. So we can offer specialties that might not normally apply. In this case, the gentleman who started the thread would be visiting from another location.

Interesting.

When I did my SDI Solo, the third and fourth dives were solo. The instructor monitored my actual depth against my planned depth from the dive log on my computer, actual gas consumption was compared against planned gas consumption based on residual tank pressure, navigation to specific points during the dive was monitored through GoPro video footage that I had to take, and ascent time and place was monitored by watching where and when my SMB surfaced.

I was under the impression that a solo dive was a requirement of the SDI course. Guess I was wrong.

You can actually go on the SDI / TDI website and download the course standards for the solo class. Just 2 dives are all that's required, and no solo element to it.

How do you define a solo boat dive? Forgive me, I've not been to the Caymens yet - can you just separate yourself a bit from the group? Like in Cozumel, could you just drift dive at a different level than the DM?

Kind of ambiguous, but I personally would define it as when you can no longer see your dive buddy. For example if you've exceeded the limit of the visibility. Some may also define it as not being within range of assistance of your dive buddy. You could also just swim in the opposite direction of the group.

Tony, your first post was CITA rules and regulation don't allow solo. They don't. Your response now is while the rules and regs don't, at meetings CITA tells you they don't like it. So all are clear and for those who don't know all this stuff, most Dive ops in the Caymans by choice decide to prohibit solo diving which is their right and prerogative. CITA is a cayman tourist association, made up by among others dive ops. It is private, not government and their orally expressed preferences and rules and regulations do not have the force of law.

So why not just state in the future that you as a business have made the choice. Again, you have the right to do so and I have no issue with that. Its your business and livelihood. I am just tired of ops dodging this by trying to say its the law, its a regulation, CITA rules and regulations don't allow it, and now well that is what CITA says at meetings but have not even put it in their rules or regulations. Just come out and say its your policy.

I think you're splitting hairs. From my first post saying CITA rules don't allow solo diving, was me paraphrasing. Yes their written rules do not expressly forbid it, but when I personally have asked about it, I was told the CITA does not support solo diving, and we've been asked to adhere to those wishes. And that is what we do. What I was trying to do was avoid a lengthy discussion that I am now roped into.

You'd actually probably be surprised to learn that my own personal feelings (outside of Divetech policy and the owner's feelings) on solo diving are quite different. I wish properly certified solo divers could engage in it here. You'd probably also find other companies who agree this way. Some of my best dives in other parts of the world have been solo dives. I also wish the speed limit on West Bay Road were 10 MPH faster than it is, and I wish I didn't have to file US income taxes every year. Sadly all of these things are the rules, and I must follow them.

I have said, it is the policy of Divetech to follow the guidelines of CITA, regardless of my own personal feelings. We follow the rules because that is the contract we have agreed to, and we wish to remain CITA members in good standing.

Any idea why? Is there some unique hazard to Cayman diving (can hardly imagine what it would be), or is this an example of somebody (or bodies) getting enough power to impose their will?

Another question you are in a good position to have special insight into; CITA gets mentioned often, yet is obviously restrictive to some extent and I've never seen any claim membership is mandatory.

So, let's say a Cayman dive op. decided not to be a member. The op. could still conform to whatever best practice recommendations it deemed appropriate, without having to officially be a member. What are the advantages for an op. of being a member of CITA? What are the disadvantages of not being one?

Also wonder...let's say someone is a member of CITA and doesn't 'adhere to their wishes' on the matter. Is there some expected negative consequence to that?

The curious resistance to solo diving in the Caymans has been a topic in thread-after-thread, especially since getting to the bottom of the why's has been something of an ordeal.

Richard.

Sorry Richard I only partially answered your question.

The CITA membership is simply a stamp of approval. Divetech belongs to CITA, which has established a set of rules to make the industry safer. Some would consider membership in and of itself to be the mark of a dive operator who wants to do the right thing. Other people could care less. Dive operators don't have to become members, and there is certainly no shortage of dive operators who are not members. Some of them very well known to this board. There are members who are good safe operators, and there are members who are less than stellar. Inversely there are non-members who run a good quality operation.

It's no secret some of the CITA rules do need some updating, and while I personally (not Divetech) might not agree with all of them, overall CITA is a good thing. It provides a baseline for Divemasters and dive staff, as well as Boat Captains with some basic rules of safety. Like any other rule, you can choose to follow them or not, but it's like anything else in life. Good drivers follow the rules of the road. Reckless drivers do not. We try our best to follow them. It makes us better overall.

There are really no negative consequences for not following the rules, other than expulsion from CITA.

Tony

Yes their written rules do not expressly forbid it, but when I personally have asked about it, I was told the CITA does not support solo diving, and we've been asked to adhere to those wishes. And that is what we do. What I was trying to do was avoid a lengthy discussion that I am now roped into.

Thank you. I hope you know we appreciate it. Getting straight answers on this issue in the Caymans across a number of threads in recent years has been like pulling teeth without anesthesia.

I wish properly certified solo divers could engage in it here. You'd probably also find other companies who agree this way.

Also appreciate this.

I have a pet theory, worth about as much as you pay for it. In an old thread about a fatality in Grand Cayman that wasn't linked to solo diving, I got the impression there were people reacting as though 'maybe something ought to be done' (some of the scarier words in the English language). It was an older diver, and I recall thinking 'It's sad, but death happens, and in a popular tourist stop like Grand Cayman, tourists are going to drop dead once in awhile.'

Rightly or wrongly, I inferred the 'powers that be' in Grand Cayman have a stronger mindset that 'tourists aren't supposed to die, it looks bad' than some other destinations. No destination and no dive op. wants a death, but how overbearingly proactive said powers are about trying to minimize risk varies.

I suspect somebody(bodies) in CITA thinks solo diving is higher risk than buddy or guide-led diving, and in managing the trade-off between risk and personal liberty, prioritized the former and will likely continue to do so until enough pressure is brought to bear (or people more liberal on the subject replace them) to bring change.

It was telling to me in another thread where someone who works at a Caymans dive op. (IIRC) having gone to Bonaire and being 'shocked' at the difference in attitude toward solo diving.

Why go to a destination for that course?

Do the online part and then get the 2 checkout dives with a good local instructor in an uninteresting body of water so you can focus on skill review and drills.
I live in Jamaica. No one offers it here.

I have said, it is the policy of Divetech to follow the guidelines of CITA, regardless of my own personal feelings. We follow the rules because that is the contract we haQve agreed to, and we wish to remain CITA members in good standing.

Hi Tony,

The stigmatism regarding solo diving is slowly waning. Just as the "voodoo" gas stigmatism died regarding EANx. Tech divers came out of the closet.

Tech divers who solo dive are now coming out of the closet.

Question:

Have you thought about being the agent of change? I am thinking that a DiveTech representative (Tony?) could put forth a motion to repeal the prohibition to solo diving at the next CITA meeting. Make the requirements to solo dive strict; strict guidelines may sway fence sitters on the issue. Get the camels nose under the tent.

Like:
  1. make the solo diver perform a solo dive procedure drill u/w;
  2. make the solo diver fill-out a CITA approved dive plan;
  3. require the solo diver to use a surface marker while diving even when diving from a boat; and,
  4. of course, the solo diver would have to provide a solo, independent, or self-reliant cert card.
If a CITA member does not propose change, it will never happen.

I am sorry that I am off topic.

cheers,
m

Mark, you’re absolutely right that divers need to start pushing back.

I blame the dive agencies.

It’s one thing for a dive agency to say that divers in their classes need to wear a snorkel or whatever. It’s quite another for them to try to impose their rules on other divers that aren’t even associated with them. They do so by intimidation, saying if you don’t follow our rules you’ll get sued.

After decades of mantra about it not being safe to dive solo, suddenly it’s now safe to dive solo - since they now sell a class.

You can’t take a diver that isn’t safe diving solo, give him a two-day class and make a solo diver out of him, any more than a two-day leadership seminar creates a leader.

Worse still, they create new certs for stuff we’re already doing and try to force divers to go back and get certified.

No integrity at all. Its not about safety; it’s about money. It’s only when there’s money to be had do they change their minds.

I have been diving since the 70's and now have over 300 logged solo dives, most logged in the past ten years. Most taking place in the Caribbean, with most on GCM, BON and CUR.

From this my opinion on the subject is that:

A. Each dive op has the right to set its own policy on diving, including whether to permit solo and under what conditions. Your boat, your business, your rules.

B. Solo should be permitted where solo diving can reasonably take place consistent with the policy and training that comes with the Solo cert.

C. Per the policy and training that comes with a solo cert there are places, conditions and time where solo diving may not be appropriate.

D. I solo dive in conditions I deem to be safe for solo diving such as on house reefs and shore diving sites with good conditions both above and below the water.

E. Boat diving at sites far from shore or on walls with deep depths and drop offs may not (it depends on other factors) be suitable for solo diving, When going out on a dive op's boat I have no issue with having to stay with the group and having the DM as my buddy when far from shore or diving deep on a wall.

Turning to GCM dive ops'/CITA solo policies, I am comfortable with and see no issue with solo shore diving at sites such as Turtle Reef, Hepps and Lighthouse point at least to the mini walls at these sites and would love to see the prohibition at some of these sites lifted or modified.

I would also like to see a discussion start or continue among the GCM/CITA dive ops on this subject to see what changes if any could be made to their anti-solo policies.

Have a nice weekend everybody and happy diving. TK

I live in Jamaica. No one offers it here.

This is unrelated to the topic but I was wondering what have you found to be the best way to fly between Jamaica and Grand Cayman? Also, can you fly direct to Cayman Brac from Jamaica? Just curious. What other destinations in the Caribbean can you fly directly to from Jamaica?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom