SDI Solo Course - A Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I hope I don't go too far off subject by doing this, but I was reading this post, and a post by RumBum (copied url below) that led me to thinking of a question that crosses the two threads.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/232459-new-solo-diving.html

RumBum's post is a book review of the Solo Diving book by Robert Von Maier, and the general impression that I got from her review is that she felt the book was a disappointment in that it was more philosophical rather than practical advice. (This is just a short version of my take on her post, please read her post for better understanding of her review).

Now, finally, to my question. For those of you who have taken the Solo Diver course, did you get any reference material that you felt would be useful to someone who is new to Solo Diving?

Thanks for your input.

Now, finally, to my question. For those of you who have taken the Solo Diver course, did you get any reference material that you felt would be useful to someone who is new to Solo Diving?

I'm in the process of writing a self-study guide for solo(ish) diving. Should be available in a few months (free as PDF).

Most people I know who teach the SDI course have their own powerpoint prsentations, but don't tend to give them out to students.

There's basically sweet FA when it comes to useful resources.

Re materials - not a thing.

Found this board to be useful it prompting me to think through why I wanted to solo, what level of risk I was willing to take, and what equipment I should be taking.

Nothing definitive on any of these points, just lots of different points of views argued passionately. Makes you examine your point of view and assumptions.

I just took the SDI course. My primary reason for taking it was so I can go diving at the quarry with someone I know really well. The cert allows me to do this.

Am I a safer diver now...absolutely not. Am I a better diver now...no.

The only real difference is I have a 30cf buddy slung on my left side that I know is always there for me if needed. :)

I just took the SDI course. My primary reason for taking it was so I can go diving at the quarry with someone I know really well. The cert allows me to do this.

Am I a safer diver now...absolutely not. Am I a better diver now...no.

The only real difference is I have a 30cf buddy slung on my left side that I know is always there for me if needed. :)

Did you take it in the Chicago area? If so, with whom? PM me if you'd prefer.

There really aren't any special skills for solo diving. Every other piece of equipment could be introduced in some other setting. In general, if you're a good diver, those skills don't go away once you start diving by yourself. If you're unfamiliar with a pony, or doubles, then a solo course is a good way to get introduced to that, but if you are already at a high level of knowledge and skill in diving, then what could they teach you in a solo course that would make it worth it.

From a lot of comments, it doesn't sound like the class was necessarily bad, you just knew everything beforehand. If some expereinced diver takes basic OW over again, they are not going to learn anything, but that doesn't mean the class was bad.

Tom

PS, as far as entanglement goes...that's not a skill in itself. The skill is a combination of situational awareness, and buoyancy control. Even cutting yourself out is more a matter of maintaining your buoyancy so you don't get even more caught up.

I felt pretty comfortable solo diving. In fact, I felt better and SAFER solo diving than I did diving with an unknown INSTANT BUDDY. But dive charters either (a) wouldn't let me solo, period, or (b) would let me solo.....IF I HAD A SOLO DIVER CERTIFICATION.

Thanks so much for this review of the SDI Solo Diver cert! My lines of thinking in pursuing this cert are precisely the same as yours. As others have said, I think the fact that the course really didn't teach you anything new says more about you, that you already have what it takes to be a solo diver, and this cert is just the "official" stamp of approval you can flash to ornery dive ops and charters.

While I stick to recreational dive parameters, I am choosing to do my cert with an instructor who does mostly technical diving and tec dive training. I learned a lot from him when I got my AOW - much more than the PADI book required - and I feel I benefit from the discipline of his tec diving experience.

Again, thanks for this review. I will still pursue my SDI Solo Diver cert, but I hope that, like you, it mostly just confirms practices I already do.

>*< Fritz

Hey Doc,
I took my solo from Bletso a little over 3 yrs. ago. He didn't use the SDI manual but the articles and powerpoint presentation was eye opening. One of his tough drills was to remove mask at about 50 ft., shoot lift bag and then do stops for 2min. each at 20 and 10. After finishing that class with him I definately felt more prepared for solo.

Kal

If you're "new" to solo diving, the course can certainly help make sure you don't miss something. On the other hand, if you've been studying solo diving on ScubaBoard for a while and pondering all there is to it, the class is basically an official review, at the end of which you're granted access to those places that desire The Card.

(It's basically just like AOW classes. If you take them early enough, you might learn something new, but if you've already done everything in the class thrice over, for you it's just a deep dive access pass.)

My understanding is that you need 100 logged dives and AOW certification to take the SDI Solo program. This suggests to me that it is unlikely someone will take the Solo course early enough to learn a great deal from it if they already have an interest in self-rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom