SDI Solo Course - A Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That he already knew the curriculum seems to not say bad about the course, but just a lot of good about the diver.

I do agree with the book: the best way to deal with entanglements is to avoid them completely. After that, all bets are off if you are solo diving. You have to go slow and easy and it may require you to get out of your gear.

I did the SDI solo course in 2006 (with webdivebc if he is who I think he is) and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I learned anything really new about solo diving on the course - but I have done over 3000 dives since 1977 from tropics to under ice and from running rivers to high current/long deco dives in the ocean (in Europe, North and South America, Australasia/Oceania, Asia and Antarctica) and have been solo diving pretty much since I began scuba diving.

About 40% of my dives are completely solo and 30% are with same ocean type buddies, so I when I did the course was confident that I could solo dive well and was aware of the relevant issues and skills. That turned out to be true, however the course did make me try a couple of things that I knew about in theory but had had never bothered to do before, including a ditch and recovery with drysuit, steel doubles and integrated weights using an over the head method (I like my way of ditch and recovery better but it was an interesting experience) and swim at 30 m to demonstrate SAC.

It was the first dive course I had done in over 20 years so I was really interested in how the course was run and what information was provided. Anyway, I think the course would have been very god for someone who was new to solo diving and could not think of any gaps in the information provided. The presentation and practical dives were excellent (I used to work as a scuba instructor and high school maths and science teacher many years ago).

As with most dive courses, a lot depends on the instructor, and Dave was really great. I can't say enough good things about the way he teaches. Despite lots of previous solo dive experience I did get some new experiences out of the course, met some interesting people and had some fun. Although not a formal part of the course, was really interesting to talk to Dave about cave diving and rebreathers (I have since done a course on the Megalodon partly as a result of conversations we had during the solo course).

While many think the solo ticket is a waste of time, my view is that interest in this course encourages dive operators and instructor agencies to take solo diving more seriously. In some parts of the world solo diving is an accepted part of diving. In other places it is OK after an operator gets to know that you can dive and won't go and kill yourself. But in some regions liability is a big issue and a solo cert may be very useful in that situation.

Even if you are very experienced and can solo dive in your sleep I think a solo course is a good idea for those times when you need a certification to convince a new charter operator that you can dive alone, and also to encourage some support for solo diving from instructor agencies. Solo diving is often the best way to dive. Diving with a cr@p buddy can be really really bad. I say support solo diving!!

I did the SDI solo course in 2006 (with webdivebc if he is who I think he is) and really enjoyed it.

Ah yes, Jon was one of those experienced guys I mentioned above who made the course really challenging for me to challenge them.
How you doing man?

Hi Dave – Thought it was you. Am planning on getting back to Vancouver Island this September for some diving. Maybe I’ll see you if you’re still working in Nanaimo? Am spending some time in Nanaimo and will hire some tanks and weights and do some local dives – really looking forward to doing Snake Island Wall again.

Regards – Jon

Hi Dave – Thought it was you. Am planning on getting back to Vancouver Island this September for some diving. Maybe I’ll see you if you’re still working in Nanaimo? Am spending some time in Nanaimo and will hire some tanks and weights and do some local dives – really looking forward to doing Snake Island Wall again.

Regards – Jon
Do you own a meg yet? I can probably find one for you to rent.

Thanks for the comments. Since I do a fair amount of solo trekking as well as diving over the years I've developed the necessary mindset. To me that is the key element to doing much of anything solo.

That is, if you recognize what you are doing is hazardous. Lots of solo stuff goes on in our daily lives that we have just become desensitized to that is, to me at least, more dangerous than just about any diving any of us do.

What do do in an entanlgement situation. I don't think I've fully resolved what the best way to proceed is. In the situations I'm personally aware of doffing your kit would probably just mean that you are now having to handle additional tasks while both your kit and your body are entangled. Ideas?

Note: Up to now, land or sea, I have just accepted the idea that if certain things happen it will be fatal and I do my best to not let them happen. But life is a terminal illness so.....

Hi Dave - Am in the process of getting a Meg - but probably won't take it to Canada as already have too much Camera gear. Will email/send private message about Meg hire closer to date and see if that is still a possibility.

Thanks - Jon

Back to topic - I think that ArcticDiver's views are a good take on solo diving. A solo course may be very useful for beginner divers, and as I said above definitely not a waste of time for the more experienced, but mindset is really important thing to successfully dive solo. A degree of self sufficiency and independence is essential if you are to enjoy it and do well.

As far as risk is concerned, I also do a fair bit of solo hiking (and solo kayaking as well) and have to say that it is amazing how careful you can be walking across slippery rocks or logs if a fall may mean a broken leg with no immediate prospect of rescue or even seeing anyone passing by for weeks or months (in the days before epirbs). While I am lucky enough to have some good dive buddies and have had many enjoyable dives with others, looking back it seems that almost every bad/dangerous experience I have had while diving has been due to other divers. Solo diving can be much safer than diving with some of the divers I have seen.

When I teach this course we practice doffing and donning gear to solve entanglement problems. I also give the student several "opportunities" to practice that as well as mask replacement.

Curious, do you just do doff and don - or do you actually simulate an entanglement? Also, is this in confined or open water?

I teach a course through PADI that evolved out of the SDI solo course - I've tended to date to teach skills that help avoiding entanglement, better situational awareness and maneouvering skills.... backwards finning probably doesn't help once you're entangled, but being able to stop properly without wildly flailing your hands around in front of you is very useful!

Nice thing about the course is I can introduce any skill in CW, and the idea of a simulated entanglement is intruiging....

When I took my master course, we practiced blind doff and don in a cavern at 80'. That is complete gear removal, turning off the primary valve, with no lights. This was not a solo course nor an entanglement situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom