SDI OW to PADI OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, my sdi class in spring went over tables... although we did use computers on our dives. I guess it was up to the instructor.

SDI requires the use of dive computers for dive planning but tables are in the book and most instructors teach the use of tables. PADI requires the use of either tables or an electronic device similar to a calculator for dive planning. This "erdp" is a PADI product and essentially does the same thing as a dive computer does in its planning mode. Most PADI instructors now seem to be teaching the use of this electronic product in lieu of teaching tables.

Because that's what they told him when he inquired about a transfer. It's not a volunteer team, he's already a member of the fire department.

My bet is that someone in the team is saying "PADI only"....I bet the real people in charge don't know that most ANY OW CERT is equal in value. And that person is PADI affiliated.

Because that's what they told him when he inquired about a transfer. It's not a volunteer team, he's already a member of the fire department.

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me. It's likely someone said, "PADI" thinking it's the only agency. I'd be surprised if they didn't accept all the major agencies. He should look at the acutal regulation instead of going by what was told to him.

LOL, you guys obviously aren't familiar with Chicago politics. :) I'm not saying you are wrong, but I work for a fulltime department in the suburbs and our team also only uses PADI certification, straight from the captain that's in charge of the team after he heard the department paid to send me to an SDI class. :doh2::confused:

edit:

Alright, he got more information and I guess currently they accept only PADI or SDI/TDI certifications.

Last edited:
Actually, no they don't. SDI does not do tables. It's been too long since I worked in an SDI OW class to give any more examples of differences.

This is not true. I teach full use of tables in Every class. Did you take an SDI course and they not teach you tables? If you taught SDI, you should know better and you should have been teaching tables during the dive planning module. We mandate use of technology but also teach tables because technology can always fail... I get really tired of being told that I don't teach tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom