SDI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is my understanding that SDI Open Water Instructors must be affliated with an SDI Dive Shop. Is this true? Does this affliation require an instructor to work through the shop (i.e. order books, use the shops equipment, give the shop a cut of the money earned from instructing etc.). I'm really curious as to know what an SDI Shop Owner can demand from a part-time SDI instructor located in the same area as the shop. If the shop owner is asking for say 60% of the revenue of each student the Instructor teaches, does the instructor have no recourse but to pay up? Does anything negative happen to the SDI Instructors Certification if the Instructor refuses to meet the SDI Shop Owner's demands? Thanks and I look forward to your response.

My wife and I have taken training through an independent SDI instructor. I believe it is SSI that only does training through shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure you are thinking SSI.

don O

Steve should be along soon and have a definitive answer to this question.

Thanks Walter... and apologies to the OP for taking so long to answer... my excuse is that I have been on the road.

First off, the short answer the the main question. An SDI instructor must be affiliated with an SDI facility to order materials and register students.

Now some further details. As an agency, we are not opposed to independent instructors. Remember our genesis was TDI and my guess would be that better than 60 percent of the first several hundred ITs and senior instructors for that branch of our organization were and still are independent... (I was one of them before joining HQ staff by the way.) Independent ERDI instructors are also accepted, so we DO support the concept of professional instructors concentrating their efforts on delivering top-quality diver education...

So why the difference with SDI? Support for the student predominantly. We feel that a beginning diver is better introduced to this pastime in the construct of a "proper facility" with classroom, bathroom, quality rental gear and so on.

Now, some of the functioning independent sport instructors reading this may now be thinking to themselves that they can supply this without the business and personal "hassles" of partnering with a full-service dive shop. That's great. We have an option for you. SDI has several levels of facility. (You can read about them here.) AND registering a facility is free with SDI. SDI, TDI, ERDI do not charge facility registration fees.

So if you are a working instructor who is serious about dive education and who presents a professional profile to your customers, then the solution maybe SDI.

If you are an instructor who just wants to work out of the back of a pickup truck and function without the benefit of a business license and some backup, SDI may not be what you're looking for.

With regards the questions about profit margins and profit sharing. SDI is in the business of publishing educational materials and supporting our members (all of our members including facilities and instructors) so that they can run successful business operations. We have a consulting department which can help develop business and marketing plans for our members. We make our materials, registrations and membership fees as reasonable as possible, so that businesses have a better shot at being successful, but we don't negotiate working conditions or relationships... sorry!

And the last question I think was about "something negative" happening should an instructor not "meet the shop's demands."

It would be necessary to have all the details and circumstances because this sounds like a grievance situation and not for general debate in a public forum. In general terms though the answer would be no as long as no standards or code of ethics violations have been breached.

Steve: Thanks for the response. I have no problem being affliated with an SDI Shop. I do have a problem with an SDI Shop owner telling me I have to give up 60% of the revenue on each student that I train to the shop. This is what I have been told by the local SDI shop owner should I decide to SDI Instructor certify through this particular shop. Simply put, that didn't seem reasonable to me, hence, my question on being an SDI Independent Instructor. I'll keep looking for a more reasonable shop owner. Best Regards and, once again, thanks for answering my questions in such a detailed manner.

Steve: Thanks for the response. I have no problem being affliated with an SDI Shop. I do have a problem with an SDI Shop owner telling me I have to give up 60% of the revenue on each student that I train to the shop.

That would depend on what they do. If they're providing a pool, air and insurance, a classroom and maybe some marketing, 60% might not be unreasonable.

Terry

Fair enough. So, how many of you SDI Instructors out there are giving 60% of each student to the shop owner? Prove that its common place and I will retract my statements and stand corrected.

The list of what the shop does is long and there are a lot of intangibles but it has made sense for me to partner with a shop, both as a PADI and an SDI/TDI instructor - YRMV, however. What does the shop provide as part of the 60/40 split and what will it cost you to replace that? If you can do better, it would seem sensible to go elsewhere. It's probably apples to oranges but 60% to the shop would represent a pay increase at some of the shops in my area...pool, classroom, student gear, instructor gear, fills, marketing, scheduling, insurance, legal, accounting, brand, yadda, yadda...

Another way to look at it is to take a look at how many independent instructors there are in your area and how well they are or aren't doing. Around here, the independents typically struggle to scrounge a handful of students each season. With no oversight (new instructors, especially, benefit from supervision and counseling) and very few students (marketing is expensive and difficult) the independents only rarely get any better.

Ultimately, unless you're able to build your own sandbox, you may have to learn to play with others. Kinda sucks sometimes but there you have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom