SDHC Card Recommendations for DC800?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaLife recommends that a 4GB Card is the maximum in the manual - but some people have reported they used 8GB with no problems.

Personally I prefer to use 1 or 2 GB cards and change them out whenever I change batteries (or charge the camera). That way I won't lose any pictures previously taken, if I get a flood on a later dive.

Thanks,

Does it matter about the card speed? Is there a speed better than others?

(kind of funny that I get an answer from someone in the same place I am right now. I work Downtown).

FYI I bought one but had to be ordered in case someone asks why I did not read something (not that you did just clarifying.)

I use the SanDisk Ultra II Cards. I have never had problems with them. I used a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II in a DC-500 for several years, even though SeaLife recommends 512MB maximum, and never had a problem with them (my wife still uses a 1 GB in her DC-500).

Don't you know that it never snows in Knoxville anymore!!!

If the local weather report calls for anything less than 100% chance of snow, there is a 95% chance they are wrong. The only thing they usually are close on is the temperature :wink: :)

PS - I'm heading out to Curacao tomorrow with my DC-800 - hopefully there will be lots of pictures.

SeaLife recommends using SD pr SDHC memory cards up to 4GB, which will take about 1500 large size, fine quality pictures or at least 30 minutes of continuous video. We recently tested 8GB and 16GB SDHC memory cards from popular brands like Sandisk, Kingston, PNY and Lexar without encountering any problems.

SeaLife no longer recommends using ONLY SanDisk, Panasonic, or Toshiba brand memory cards. Our testing over the last several years indicates that these brands are reliable cards, but many other brands have also proven to be just as reliable. We have not found any compatibility problems with brands like Delkin, Lexar, Kingston, PNY, Kodak, Polaroid, Kingmax, and Eye-Fi (wifi card). SeaLife cameras are designed to work with any brand of SD memory card.

DC800 Read / Write speed specification
The DC800 camera can transfer data to the SD or SDHC memory card at 12MB/s (mega bytes per second). This read/write speed is faster than most memory cards available in the market. You can optimize the cameras processing speed and recycle time by using a memory card with a fast read/write speed up to 12MB/s. There is no performance advantage when using a memory card with a read/write speed faster than 12MB/s. Please contact the memory card manufacturer for specifications on the cards read / write speed.

Last edited:
This past Saturday, I picked up a Kodak 2 gig card on sale for $7.99 at Circuit City. It's the cheapest I've ever seen for a 2 gig card.

I don't know how long the sale lasts, but it may be worth a call.

Good luck!

Ken

Back
Top Bottom