ScuboPro S-Tek Steamer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VegBabe

New
Reaction score
:huh:

Hello All! Happy New Year!

I'm a scuba newbie seeking wetsuit advice/information. I recently purchased a ScubaPro S-Tek 5mm steamer. Fits like a glove but I need assistance removing it. No matter how hard I pull, I can't get the seals around my ankles when removing the suit. Anyone else have this problem? It's also difficult to put on but that's minor compared to undressing.

Also, I find the suit is not very flexible. Is this a size issue? Should I have purchased one size up (S instead of XS)?

Thanks!

Are you rolling it down such that it comes off inside out? You don't want to be trying to tug it off from the cuffs.

Just as your sleeve will invert as you pull your hands into the suit to doff the legs should do the same as you essentially step out of the suit. It should be very easy, especially when wet.

As to the sizing.....
As a new diver you may find it stiff and this can be normal.

Do you have good range of motion? Put your hands on opposite shoulders, reach straight up, touch your toes, scooch down, bending at you knees? You should be able to make these pretty much the same as in your swimnsuit.

You should be breathing normally, the suit must not help you exhale.

Fit like a glove is exactly what you want as long as it's not too tight. Since you don't mention trouble geting in I suspect you're OK but check as described.

A lot of the tightness will go away when you get it wet. If the fit seems Ok from what I suggested checking go in the shower and flood the suit, you'll see!

Pete

Yes, I am rolling the suit off inside out as it comes off. I have not tried this with the suit wet though. This may resolve the dilemma. Range of motion is good, breathing normal.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi VegBabe,
If you thought getting out of a 5mm was a chore, try the 7mm :wink: I dive x-small as well, I find if you just rub a little biodegradable soap around your wrists and ankles, you can slip in and out of the wetsuit really easily. Just watch what your nails are doing when you're tugging the suit off, I've a few little crescents here and there! They're great wetsuits! Hope you enjoy yours!

Does the steamer have zippers on the wrists and ankles? If so, make certain you have unzipped the suit. Otherwise it's not as easy as it could be. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance; if you are in fact a babe the guys will fall all over themselves to help you. Building up some muscle is also not a bad idea.

Green,

Yes, zippers were unzipped, suit was rolled. I just couldn't get the latex seals over my heals.

As for muscle, I do weight train but at 105lbs., there's not a whole lot there to begin with! The "ask for assistance" advice is intriguing...might be worth a shot!

VegBabe:
Green,

Yes, zippers were unzipped, suit was rolled. I just couldn't get the latex seals over my heals.

As for muscle, I do weight train but at 105lbs., there's not a whole lot there to begin with! The "ask for assistance" advice is intriguing...might be worth a shot!

Here's how my wife takes her suit off:

1) unzip the back, ankles and wrists
2) have someone help slide the top off of your shoulders
3) pull your left (or right) hand out of the suit
4) pull the other hand out of the suit
5) push down on the suit until it is below your waist
6) sit down and have someone grab the top of the suit and pull it off your legs to the point that it needs to be pulled from your ankle. Then slide your thumb under the seal and pop it off.

I am the someone in Steps 2 & 6.

Of course, this method results in a suit that is now inside out but it's easier than fighting the suit.

green - it's so true...
and for some reason... there's always someone with a camera...

Back
Top Bottom