Scubastore??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altissimus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

...yesterday I ordered about £600 worth of kit from www.scubastore.com. Having placed the order online, I then received an e-mail saying that there was an issue with my order, and they needed a copy of my passport!

Exact wording: "Due to our security commitment, we would like to check the information that you have given us in your order. This procedure is part of our intent to fight against Internet Transaction Fraud, and, this way, protect all of our clients. In order to validate your order and to be able to deliver it in the estimated time, we ask you to send us a copy of an identification document (ID card or Passport). The document should show clearly the name and surname of the card holder."

Looks majorly dodge to me. Especially as "We do not accept mobile phone bills or driving license." You want ID but you won't accept a driving licence?!?!

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

I'd rather cancel the order and go elsewhere then post pictures of my passport on random internet sites.

Whatcha think?

A.

That site sounds fishy to me and I would not send a picture of my passport or my drivers license. I googled the site for reviews, and it looks like a 50/50 of some satisfied and some VERY PISSED OFF people!! Granted, a lot of the angry people were having issues with items not allowed to be sold in their country (mostly americans) or they would have to send the item to Spain for warranty service. But it still looks like people from all over have issues with them in regards to customer service and the shady way they handle business. They do look to be a legitimate company though, and they are listed on ScubaPro.com as an authorized dealer. I would personally avoid that shop... but YMMV.

I think I used them years ago to buy my Vyper computer back in 2004 and had no issues whatsoever.

CC fraud is rampant though and I would not have any problems proving who I am by sending a copy of my passport, what pisses me off at times are the banks themselves canceling my card while I am traveling without contacting me first to check that I am the person using the card. I had three new cards issued in less than a year by Sh!t!bank because of their stupid policy!

Visa does have an online verification system that works very well, provided the vendor of course uses that system and you use a Visa card.

When I first was looking to buy my gear I looked at this store and found them to be very fishy. I hadn't read any reviews about the site but I got the felling they were selling fake gear. So I haven't bought from them. I'd cancel instead of sending my passport.

I see a lot of complaints, especially overseas orders. Even their customer service is questionable.

When I first was looking to buy my gear I looked at this store and found them to be very fishy. I hadn't read any reviews about the site but I got the felling they were selling fake gear. So I haven't bought from them. I'd cancel instead of sending my passport.

I don't think they are asking for the original passport just a scanned copy.

Not defending them in any way, but look at it from a seller's point of view, they want to make sure that the credit card payment is from the owner.

I have bought tickets on Malaysian Airlines online over the past few years for my daughter and you have to show a copy of the ID of the credit card holder otherwise they will not allow you to board!

Visa does have an online verification system that works very well...

Yes, I know, I used it when I placed the order!

they want to make sure that the credit card payment is from the owner

I called them, spoke to them (took me 12 tries to get through on their number, mind you, because the queueing system doesn't work) and offered alternative payment method (paypal etc, which they accept) and alternative ID source, etc. So they knew it was me. They wouldn't accept any of that.

In the end I took a picture of my passport, and used PowerPoint to black out absolutely everything except the photo and my name. They accepted it.

Now we'll see how long it takes to deliver...hoping all the scary reviews are rare cases!

It may be legit. Facebook tried to get me to give them a passport or DL # when I forgot my password. I thought how crazy-I'm not giving you guys that info just so I can stalk ex-girlfriends online.

Visa does have an online verification system that works very well, provided the vendor of course uses that system and you use a Visa card.

Read the fine print.

By using Visa's online verification system, you are basically giving up your rights to file a protest for bogus charges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom