ScubaProf.com spam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have hacked into one data base already, and possibly a second. This is the second site this year that is trying to forcibly steal users from other sites. If you want to go to another site, choose the Decostop or ZenDivers. If they stoop so low as to steal from other sites, you just KNOW your identity and such are fair game if you go and visit them. My anti-virus went into overdrive rejecting malware from their site as I loked it over.

In order to prevent them from actively recruiting here, we are taking pre-emptive actions.

Web Monkey:
I feel left out! (or more likely my spam filter ate it).

If anybody wants to foward me the entire message including headers, I take great joy in pointing out to the ISP involved how their customer violated the ISPs TOS (which almost always include "no spamming").

Terry

note to self don't irritate Terry. . .

NetDoc:
They have hacked into one data base already, and possibly a second. This is the second site this year that is trying to forcibly steal users from other sites. If you want to go to another site, choose the Decostop or ZenDivers. If they stoop so low as to steal from other sites, you just KNOW your identity and such are fair game if you go and visit them. My anti-virus went into overdrive rejecting malware from their site as I loked it over.

In order to prevent them from actively recruiting here, we are taking pre-emptive actions.

I fully understand your blocking their access to SB as best you can. But are you saying you can't accomplish that without also blocking SB member access to their site? I looked before it was censored and just didn't see any threat of your loosing SB membership to them.

jhbryaniv:
note to self don't irritate Terry. . .

It's just a holdover from the years I spent working at AppliedTheory/Navisite/Conexion, which had a no-wiggle-room spamming policy.

If a customer was a spammer, the life of the site could be measured in minutes.

Sometimes it's just hard to give up the fun parts of the job. :cool:

Terry

The site is malicious. I have no issues with people going wherever they want. But when a site becomes malicious, we take measures to make sure that they simply can not get a foot hold in here. Censoring the site name prevents them from spamming our membership by creating an account and sending out PMs. Also, we don't want to spread whatever malware is being pushed by their site.

We support the creation of competing sites and will even give them space in our announcements forum to promote their sites. From what I have seen so far, this site has been created to cause damage. Do a "Whois" and you will find that you can't find out who they are. Believe me, this is an extreme measure for an extremely malicious site. We don't do this often. In fact, of all the sites out there, we only block 7.

Web Monkey:
It's just a holdover from the years I spent working at AppliedTheory/Navisite/Conexion, which had a no-wiggle-room spamming policy.

If a customer was a spammer, the life of the site could be measured in minutes.

Sometimes it's just hard to give up the fun parts of the job. :cool:

Terry

So did you happen to visit the site?

NetDoc:
The site is malicious. I have no issues with people going wherever they want. But when a site becomes malicious, we take measures to make sure that they simply can not get a foot hold in here. Censoring the site name prevents them from spamming our membership by creating an account and sending out PMs. Also, we don't want to spread whatever malware is being pushed by their site. .

They're already violating several provisions of DomainsByProxy's TOS.

You should drop DBP an email.

Terry

ianr33:
How did they get my Email address? I am guessing it was from rebreatherworld due to the line "We are aware that you are a member of a key community forum about Rebreathers" ??
I agree. I'm also a member of rebreatherworld, as well as TDS, so that could very well be it.

I will leave that for others to do Terry. Anything like that from me can be construed as being malicious. For now, I will be content to keep them off of our forum. BTW, did you get my e-mail?

ianr33:
How did they get my Email address? I am guessing it was from rebreatherworld ...
It didn't come from RBW, but they hit us pretty bad over there.
Those mails were send to our members, and the ones complaining about it publicly
had posts, threads and even their accounts deleted. That included several mods and
admins.

They're a malicious bunch, you don't want them to mess around on any website or board you enjoy visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom