Scubapro X650 Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone

Contributor
Reaction score
I was on a dive boat last weekend and one of the DM's noticed my X650 and said there was a recall on them because they were freezing up.

I also noticed one of the instuctors from the shop I dive with who always dove with an X650 was now sporting a S600. He told me Scubapro replaced his X650 with a S600.

I asked the shop and they knew nothing about the recall. The reg seems to breathe fine although on rare occasion you will be breathing and it will breathe hard for about 1/4 of the inhale and then you can feel it open up and breathe like it normally does. This happens at any depth. I have had this reg down to 125' and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Should take it back to the shop and demand they service it or should we be calling Scuabapro?

The reg is working fine now, I am just wondering if there is a fundamental design flaw that will cause this reg to fail at some point. Until I can sort this out, the pony is going with me on every dive.

I also noticed one of the instuctors from the shop I dive with who always dove with an X650 was now sporting a S600. He told me Scubapro replaced his X650 with a S600.

FWIW, I have a buddy in Monterey whose X650 was just replaced with an S600 by Scubapro. So, you're not the only one.

There's a review on the x650/mk25 on the June issue of Sport Diver magazine, the author seemed to be very satisfied with the performance of x650, and he didn't mention anything about 2nd stage freezing.

There was a limited number of original units that they wanted to take back and replace. In the first run, there was a machining burr left on a piece of metal, that ended up wearing on a nylon bushing. In time, the bushing would get worn by the burr and it would affect breathing. The regs would breathe great at first... but get worse - normally after about 20 dives.

If you registered yours, and bought it from an authorized dealer, they should have contacted you concerning it. Where ever you bought it, have them contact Scubapro with the serial number and see if yours is affected by this.

There certainly has been a "silent recall" of the X650 beyond the problem at introduction (if it fails they will currently offer you an S600 replacement). I have heard there is a new diaphragm in the works in a few months. Not sure if there was a redesign involved or just a replacement of material used. In any case, there has been a genuine problem with the X650 (fortunately more annoying than catastrophic) but it looks like Scubapro is now admitting that and addressing it. Good for them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom