Scubapro vs Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a hooded vest, so I'm not sure. Is there anywhere local where you can try it out?

I got the suit from Leisure Pro and it didn't fit well. I honestly don't remember if it was too big or too small...but I emailed them, filled out a form and sent it back. They sent another one (different size) right out. Kind of added $$ due to shipping (it was august and I wanted to get as much diving out of it that season as possible so I chose the 2 day shipping both times). They will work with you if it's not the right size.

Im leaning towards the henderson (price mainly). My question to those with this suit. I am right on the borderline for a LARGE/X-LARGE suit with them. Does this suit stretch enough for me to put a hooded vest on under the large and have it still fit me ?

[Edit] Completely rewrote this message.

I purchased the Henderson Hyperstretch Titanium 7mm. Compared to my previous wetsuits, this thing is amazing. To answer your question, yes, it will be no problem whatsoever to fit a hood underneath. The Hyperstretch truly is stretchy. I have recently acquired a brand new Aqualung SolAfx (which wasn't available when I got my Henderson) and have come to prefer it over the Henderson. For fit, I have one size smaller than the recommended (both wetsuits). Below is a comparison between the two:

What is in common with both the Henderson Hyperstretch and Aqualung SolAfx:

* Both are made of similar stretchy material
* Both are easy to don/doff. It takes me roughly 30 seconds each and I use very little effort, if any. My previous wetsuits took lots of effort and maybe 2 minutes or more and god forbid repeat dives, nearly impossible. Both these wetsuits are just as easy when wet as when dry - that includes whether I'm sweaty or dry, as well.
* Both are super comfortable.
* Both are toasty to about 60 degrees F.

Difference with the Henderson:

* Once in the water, because of the back zipper, it takes bout 1-2 minutes to warm up during which time you will feel a bit chilly. However, during the dive, the wetsuit is remarkably warm.
* The adjustable neck strap (velcro) sometimes comes loose or otherwise doesn't always hold the zipper.
* The long string attached to the zipper can annoy. Sometimes under water, it floats past my mask. Other times it can snag on something. Yet other times, while feeling for the string to my BC air vent I accidentally found the string to the zipper and unzipped. 8-()
* At 50 ft roughly, and 60 degrees F or so, if you are too relaxed, you'll feed the cold radiating from outside the wetsuit though you'll still be warm (it's hard to describe) and at 58 degrees F you really feel it or if you go deeper.
* The outer material will appear to warp and be worn out when it come in contact with velcro or otherwise general use. This translates into tiny pinhole here and there that may or may not affect you under water.
* No integrated hood (I don't know if they make a version that does).
* When surge pushes me against a rock or something, I can certainly feel it.
* Your mileage may very, but the best price new I could find was $420 even today (given that I must try it before I buy it, no online shipping for me with wetsuits)
* Great suit for fall/summer in 60+ degree F.

Differece with the Aqualung:

* Integrated hood.
* Front Zipper. No water seepage whatsoever.
* The wrists, ankles, and hood has a rubber lining that also is flexible and works wonders to keeping water from entering. I haven't had this problem with the Henderso, to be fair, but the Henderson is just tight around the wrist and ankles. They just use different approaches. I usually don't like rubber seals but the Aqualung does it right (IMO).
* Is instantly warm when you enter water, does not require any time at all to warm up.
* For me, this hood is the first one that allows me to easily get my mask under and consequently, I no longer have random mask flooding problems.
* Will keep you very warm at 50 feet and 53 degrees F. I can't think of a time when I've felt cold or chilled in this suit.
* Does not display comsetic wear so easily as does the Henderson.
* When surge pushes me against a rock or something, I'm less likely to notice as with the Henderson.
* Your mileage may very, but the this wetsuit cost roughly $340
* Great suit for winter/spring/all year where water will be 53-70. I say 53 because I've been to 53 in this and it keeps me warm. I don't know about 52 or whether it gets that cold over here.

Anyway, in the end I like the Henderson for 60+ and the Aqualung for 53-65. Both are excellent wetsuits. Both are 7mm.

Thanks,
Shawn

These are brand new and being released on the 14th of this month (March). The Down130.com brand is the only brand in the market that lets you "Wear it Out" and return for new. I've finally fulfilled a dream of mine (creating my own brand), so I hope you like it :)

down130.com - Home

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom