Scubapro vs Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xefe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Currently I am looking at the following two suits to purchase. I was wondering if anyone would mind putting in there 2cents, preferably 1$. I really could use the help in making an educated purchase.

Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit - 2007

Scubapro Thermal Tec 5mm

I need the suit for water tempetures around 63 degrees +
I am 5'10 190lbs. Need to figure out size as well (local fitting not an option).

For that temp and your size you would do nicely in the same suit as me, a henderson Titanium hyperstretch 2 piece-size XL. contact Brett as leisure pro for the cheapest price anywhere on that suit.

A 2 piece gives you more adjustability, hyperstretch material is the best wetsuit material as far as comfort/ease of donning/ and fit.

7mm is the way to go unless you always and I mean always dive warm water, my 7mm has served me from 73 degree water down to 36 degrees.

I use a 7 mil in 63 degree water and I ain't skinny no more

I've got the scubapro Thermal Tec and it's a quality suit and seems to keep me pretty darn warm, also have it in 7 mil. I had an older Henderson and found that to be a quality suit also, you've picked two good ones in my book.

From working with customers at my LDS, here are my opinions:
Henderson- not the most anatomically form-fitting suit on the market, but the suits do seem to fit a wide range of body types. The Thermoprene is somewhat stretchy, but not as much as some other types of neoprene.
Scubapro- when it fits, it really fits well. These suits do not seem to fit as many different body shapes as Henderson. The main panels of this suit are not very stretchy, meaning the fit must be closer to be 'right on'. Warm suits if the fit is right.

If you can not get to a dive shop to try suits on for fit as your post implies you might want to look at either the Henderson Hyperstretch or the Bare Elastek. They're more $$ up front, but the chances of getting a good fit are much better. The Hyperstretch will stretch for days. Even when a wetsuits "shrinks over the winter" :wink: the chances are good that a Hyperstretch will still fit. Not as much experience with the Elastek (it's a new suit, but the ones that I have handled have fit beautifully.

Hope my .02 was worth your 2 minutes of reading. Good luck finding a suit!

my 7mm has served me from 73 degree water down to 36 degrees.

It is said that living in a cold climate thickens the blood and increases tolerence to cold, but dang!!! That's cold!! :11:

I have the 7 mm Henderson Thermoprene and I love it. I think a 7 mm might serve you better than a 5 mm. The thermoprene is so much easier to don and doff than the regular neoprene Mares ones we had to use for open water class. I saw some people recommending the Hyperflex. I was considering the hyperflex at one point, but in doing my research and reading lots of reviews...they said that because it's so stretchy often times the bendy areas (knees, elbows) would get worn down and tear fairly quickly. I believe the shelf life for a wetsuit (if you dive often) is a few years, and the hyperflex seemed to be less than that (again if you dive often). I figured as much as the hyperflex costs, I would be very POed if it tore within the first year or two. The thermoprene is still nice and stretchy and I have no problems donning and doffing it.

If you don't like stretch then try the WaterProof suits from Sweden. Waterproof - Sweden Fantastic suits. No stretchy stuff anywhere! They make it work by having the suit made out of many panels that just plain fit well. Darn warm suit as well.

Im leaning towards the henderson (price mainly). My question to those with this suit. I am right on the borderline for a LARGE/X-LARGE suit with them. Does this suit stretch enough for me to put a hooded vest on under the large and have it still fit me ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom