ScubaPro vs. Cressi vs. Mares - service issues at Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with SP or Apeks if you have plans to dive in out waters. For all service I bring the regs to Guy Pelland @ Aquarius SCUBA; He is certainly not the type of a serviceman that halocline reffered to:) But he is very busy during winter when people go for vacations and need the service at the last minute

We are shopping for our first scuba gear and I am trying to settle on regulators. I am really not happy with the advice I am getting in my local stores in Toronto to be honest with you since every store is trying to push for a brand they carry. Actually all seam to have a preferred brand and I hear all kind of stuff to discourage us to go with other bands. Anyway...

One of the common theme seams to be availability of the service at diving location. In case "something goes wrong". This seams as a valid concern even though I do not know how reliable regulators are these days and what the chances are we may have issues.

The brands models we are concidering - Cressi MC9/Balanced, Mares Abyss 22 and ScubaPro MK17/G260. I need an environmentally sealed one since I will likely dive in Canada. I really like Cressi for the design and price but I was told that there is a very small support base here for it. By hear I mean Mexico/Dominican/Aruba and etc. I was told it is because the reg is Italian, go with Mares or ScubaPro but I trust ScubaPro is Italian as well.

Anyway, if can you advice if I go with Cressi or Mares or ScubaPro, will I have issues getting help on location? What are the chances I need it?

Strictly between these three; I would pick Scubapro, no question. They make higher quality, better performing, regs than either Cressi or Mares. As far as serviceability while on a dive trip, honestly I would not even worry about it. If you follow the basic/standard care and maintenance recommendations the likelihood of experiencing problems is pretty low. I personally have been on many many dive trips and never had a problem. But, if I did have a problem and could not get it repaired, I would just rent a reg for the remainder of the trip. Alternately you could purchase a second unit to take along as a backup.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your feedback folks! You've been very helpful. If I can afford 2 SP MK17/G260, I will get those then. If not, Mares would be my second choice then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom