Scubapro Visionaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little problem with that mask was that you couldn't equalize your ears by pinching your nose, you had to manage that without being able to close the nose..........

I always forget about that detail. I am one of those lucky persons that never has to pinch my nose to equalize. Normally, I don't even think about equalizing, it just happens almost by itself. Only when I am very badly congested do I need to be a bit proactive to equalize my ears. But, even when I am congested, I can still dive.

Luis, without wanting to abuse your kindness, I have a question that has always intrigued me.
Why did Scubapro stop producing in the United States to come to Europe?
I understand it was all economy, but and the prestige of the U.S.A. flagship brand, U.S.A. manufacturing.
Its prices have not gone down and it is going very well for me that it is in Italy, but I do not understand it.
Atomic, for example, resists in the U.S.A, I would be talking with you for days.
If you come to Spain, contact me.

I don't really know, but I am sure it had something to do with cost. AFAIK, they have also had some stuff also manufactured in Japan (but I think that was short term). Now-a-days, who knows where a lot of the components are actually being manufactured.

Also keep in mind that in the early days Scubapro had a big connection with Europe, with the primary owner, Gustav Dalla Valle, being from Italy.

Some of the early products, like the Jet fins, were originally from Europe. And Gustav had some connections with Cressi. The Scubapro 108 second stage looks a lot if not the same to one of the early Cressi second stages.

I would love to come to Spain. I haven't been back since 1980. My family is from Asturias (Aviles and Oviedo).

Thank you very much Luis for everything, you are a living encyclopedia of diving and on top of that your family is Spanish, which makes me proud.
If you decide to come to your other country, tell me privately and I'll send you my address.
Un fuerte abrazo

Thanks @MARK74

For a really good article about the Visionaire you can go to the Historical Diving Society and look at:

"Charles Hubbel Hawley and his Visionaire Mask"

Journal Number 54

Volume 16, Issue 1, Number 54, Winter 2008

I think that you can get an on line membership to read the journal.

Added:
On line membership is $25/ year

1681310485730.png

Thank you very much Luis for all this wonderful information. Like you, I am passionate about diving and naval history. Arturo Perez Reverte has recently written a book about combat divers in World War II and, curiously, the technology of the Italian diving equipment was at the forefront of the time. They were oxygen ccr, but when an Italian was captured, they were surprised by the technological advances, I send you some photos
images (5).jpeg
images (4).jpeg

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 32
  • images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 33
  • descarga(1).jpeg
    descarga(1).jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 35