ScubaPro TwinJet v. Jet Fin v. XS Scuba Power Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I just lost a fin (AquaLung blade) at "Thousand Steps" in Laguna beach last night and was unable to recover it after hours of searching (the wind and waves are farocious). I don't like using my (ScubaPro) split fins in surgy and current because they are too weak for my tastes. So I'm in the market for new fins.

Question 1) What is the difference (besides price) between ScubaPro Jet Fins, XS Scuba Power Fins, and AquaLunck Rocket Fins? The seems to be the same thing +/- the presense/absense of some holes in various locations. For people that have experianced at least two of these fins, which do you prefer and why?

Question 2) What is the difference between ScubaPro Twin Jet and Jet Fin? Why did you choose one of the other? In terms of what I'm most interested in: I want to be able to resist current and surge. Split fins are weak in those conditions, compared to my trustee aqualung (that I hated when I first started using them). I also don't want something that requires too much strength to use for normal enjoyment diving.

Thanks,
Shawn

I believe the jetfins & xs powerfins are pretty close as far as design & performance.
I started off diving SP twinjets & no more got them broken in before I switched to the Jetfins. The twinjets don't give you near the thrust that the jetfins do. For diving in strong currents or diving doubles w/ deco bottles & added weight & drag I'd go with the jetfins.

The Scubapro Jet fins are the prefered choice of a lot of tech divers. The problem that I have with them is that the foot pocket sizing seems to be missing a step between XL & XXL. The XL foot pocket won't accomodate my size 10 1/2 foot with an attached flexible boot on my Bare drysuit. The XXL on the other hand has room for a medium sized aircraft (or at least a DUI Rock Boot)!

Because of the fin pocket problems, I went with the size L Aqualung Rocket Fins. Some folks think this fin is OK, others don't like it. It is a very stiff fin, and took a little while for me to adapt to. Sometimes I feel that I'd go faster in a less stiff fin. They do frog & helicopter kick well. All and all, I like them, but I think if you can fit into the Scubapro Jet fins, you'd be better served. I also have the MantaRay spring straps for the fins, and absolutely love them! Well worth the money! -Todd.

I went with the OMS Slipstream fins & spring strap. Apart from the fact that they are so much more stiff than I am accustomed to (I like flexible), they are powerful and I think that I'll come to prefer them in the long-term.

Thanks,
Shawn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom