Scubapro Signal Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't like using carabiners on my rigs. I'm getting involved with wreck diving and there are lots of documented intances with carabiners attatching themselves to something with out you knowing and all of a sudden, you're caught. Carabiners are sometimes referred to as "suicide clips" for this reason.

Here is the way that I was taught to handle this situation:

A simple all brass bolt snap rides on the strap of my lift bags and signal markers. Simply loop the strap on the bag through the swivel end of the bolt snap to secure to the bag.

The end of my line on my reel is tied in a large loop so I can pass the reel through it when I need to tie off on something.

When it's time to deploy the marker, I clip the bolt snap to the loop in the line, then make an additional loop onto the bolt snap, and then one more time for three. This makes for a secure connection and plenty of "line surface area" to take on the load of the bag as it's deployed, ascends, and stays at the surface.

Then I complete the task of deploying the marker bag in a safe manner.

Back
Top Bottom