Scubapro S620ti, "super-flow" hoses & swivels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I wasn't disagreeing with you as much as pointing out that the slight increase in price is due to the various second stage updates with vast improvements in WOB specifications. The Ti barrel is only one small part of it. The WOB improvement by itself is worth the price for me.

FYI, I have our MK17 setup as in the video and no issues there as far as I see (for single tank recreational setup).

I wasn't disagreeing with you as much as pointing out that the slight increase in price is due to the various second stage updates with vast improvements in WOB specifications. The Ti barrel is only one small part of it. The WOB improvement by itself is worth the price for me.

FYI, I have our MK17 setup as in the video and no issues there as far as I see (for single tank recreational setup).

the female diver is set up in a fashion where there is no benefit to the turret or the fifth port. That's how my Poseidon's are set up because I don't have a choice. If I had turrets and a fifth port, they'd be set up like the male diver in the video. That is how the Deep 6 regs will be set up when they show up

I suspect these "vast improvements in WOB specifications" are mostly a marketing ploy and will not be much, if ant, benefit to the user. I am sure the valve designs (inlet and exhaust) are unchanced from the S600 and the rest of the scubapro barrel poppets that use the exact same parts. The exhaust tte looks to be a little larger and that could reduce the work of exhaling up to the point where it starts to contribute to freeflows. The redesigned case and new barrel may could provide for better venturi effects but that is limited by the positive pressure breathing that may accompany that. Positive pressure breathing may produce some discomfort and can also result in freeflows.

If you are looking for Ti because of its reliability even in adverse user care situations, it makes little sense to not have Ti in all your regulator stages. Is anybody making Ti hose fittings?

Can you buy a S620Ti without a Mk25? I had no idea that were being sold separately.

I suspect these "vast improvements in WOB specifications" are mostly a marketing ploy and will not be much, if ant, benefit to the user. I am sure the valve designs (inlet and exhaust) are unchanced from the S600 and the rest of the scubapro barrel poppets that use the exact same parts. The exhaust tte looks to be a little larger and that could reduce the work of exhaling up to the point where it starts to contribute to freeflows. The redesigned case and new barrel may could provide for better venturi effects but that is limited by the positive pressure breathing that may accompany that. Positive pressure breathing may produce some discomfort and can also result in freeflows.

If you are looking for Ti because of its reliability even in adverse user care situations, it makes little sense to not have Ti in all your regulator stages. Is anybody making Ti hose fittings?

Just how can you be so sure?? A 37% improvement in the WoB isn't good enough?

I can be sure, from many years of experience, that in general, WOB numbers based on test machine results bear little resemblance to actual dive comfort and enjoyment. A 37% higher score on a test machine does not translate to 37% 'better' performance in the water, with an actual human doing the very subjective evaluation.

For example, if this version of the S600 has a bigger exhaust valve and more venturi assist, the 37% higher test scores could be entirely attributed to lower scores on exhalation and more positive pressure from the venturi assist. Neither of those two things would be an improvement in many divers' opinions upon actually using them. We typically don't even notice the effort required to exhale; its already very low and there is a much greater sensitivity to increases in inhalation effort. And many divers don't enjoy the feeling of air being pushed down their throats from an over-active venturi assist, although that sure tilts the numbers on the test machine.

Sure of what?

I do accept that the Scubapro marketing staff may have found some test data point that represents a 37% "improvement" over some other test data point. But I doubt it represents a 37% difference across the spectrum of regulator WOB performance measures or that it has any useful benefit for divers. Perhaps you have access to the specific data and can provide a comparision to other known regulators like the G250 performance data in this test report: 1987 Regulator Olympics by USN

Have you used the S620ti yourself in real diving situation to come up with your thoughts on this regulator??

No. I use an older Scubapro regulator that probably still has the best performance numbers (over the specturm of conditions including supply pressure and volume, depth, and rate of breathing) of any Scubapro 2nd stage ever made.

I will be diving the new S620Ti this weekend. I will give you my feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom