Scubapro S620TI allowing water in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jga37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sucking in water. Had it looked at 3 times LDS they replaced normal service parts, flapper, rings. Still sucks water sometimes. It’s now an intermittent problem. Driving me and shop crazy. Please help. And no I’m not sucking too hard

Tell us a bit more.
When in the breathing cycle do you breathe wet?
After you purge, is the very next breath wet too?
Are you inverted?
Have you had it tuned "light"?
Is it just intermittent and unexpected?

Tell us a bit more.
When in the breathing cycle do you breathe wet?
After you purge, is the very next breath wet too?
Are you inverted?
Have you had it tuned "light"?
Is it just intermittent and unexpected?
+
Did you change the mouth piece?

+
Did you change the mouth piece?
The water comes in on the intake cycle can feel slight gurgling and it happens both deep 60-130 diving and pool. I am not inverted. Originally we found slight debris under edge of translucent disk.

The water comes in on the intake cycle can feel slight gurgling and it happens both deep 60-130 diving and pool. I am not inverted. Originally we found slight debris under edge of translucent disk.

replace the exhalation diaphragm *translucent disc*, and clean the seals in the reg body. Remove, inspect, and clean the inhalation diaphragm

You've now heard about three of the six possible sources of a leak on inhalation:
In order of likelihood:
- hole/tear in mouthpiece
20140919_123653.jpg

- flaw or debris in exhalation valve
20140829_101911.jpg

20131214_131402.jpg

- wrinkle, hole or dislodged main diaphragm
20200516_161801.jpg

20141004_215646.jpg

20191209_182340.jpg

The last three possibilities are
- sheared, dislodged or wrong-sized oring(s) sealing the barrel or adjuster to the case
20191210_201623.jpg

20201012_195713.jpg

- a crack or flaw in the case itself
20140902_154302.jpg

- a sealing issue where the Venturi vane penetrates the case.
20171120_205831.jpg

You didn't mention whether they changed the exhalation valve after finding debris. The debris may have been a red herring, with the more likely problem being a flaw in the skirt of the valve leaflet.

I recently had gurgling problems and it was because i tried using those stupid silicone mouthpieces that don't always exactly fit the body of the reg. pissed me off because they were all color matchy, too.

oh well. back to comfobite.

A quick test for water tight integrity is to suck on the reg with the first stage on a tank that's turned off. If it holds vacuum its generally good to go. Not a fool proof test tho.

You could try doing that and moving the reg and manipulating controls on your 2nd stage to try and find the source of the leak.

- sheared, dislodged or wrong-sized oring(s) sealing the barrel or adjuster to the case

Especially since on the S620ti the adjuster seals only on the outer case, and with one o-ring. A great feature imho, but that o-ring needs to be in order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom