Scubapro S-Tek Line Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the best idea besides the handle was the STA. I had to see it for myself and my shop didn’t have one so I ordered online. I found that it fits my DGX 30 like it was made for it and believe it or not bolts solidly to my Zeagle plate. I will be in the pool tonight with a class, going to try it out like that.
So I used it this evening, solid as a rock, no issues at all. I have heard comments that it moves the tank away from the plate and that is true, but it is maybe 1/2 inch further out than relying on the built in stabilizing from the DGX wing. Much more solid and leaves the option to move the tank up or down which I didn’t have with the two band arrangement. And the tank valve strap is a definite nice to have.

So I used it this evening, solid as a rock, no issues at all. I have heard comments that it moves the tank away from the plate and that is true, but it is maybe 1/2 inch further out than relying on the built in stabilizing from the DGX wing. Much more solid and leaves the option to move the tank up or down which I didn’t have with the two band arrangement. And the tank valve strap is a definite nice to hayou
So I used it this evening, solid as a rock, no issues at all. I have heard comments that it moves the tank away from the plate and that is true, but it is maybe 1/2 inch further out than relying on the built in stabilizing from the DGX wing. Much more solid and leaves the option to move the tank up or down which I didn’t have with the two band arrangement. And the tank valve strap is a definite nice to have.
I also use the slots on the STA to zip tie weights for those dives when I use thicker wetsuit.

No. I only use 2lbs of weights for my BPW so, i just zip tie 1lb to the slots on each side of the STA.

I'm seriously considering this rig. Wondering if anyone has tried the Pro harness and has any thoughts?
I want to try it but knowing I can get the same rig (30 lb wing, STA and pro harness on the stainless plate ) for about 1/2 of the US price in Europe kind of ticks me off.

I'm seriously considering this rig. Wondering if anyone has tried the Pro harness and has any thoughts?
I am ordering the package with the Al. Plate and weight pockets and trim pouches very soon. I hope to have it for the March photo competition in Aqaba.

I want to test it to decide if I am going to use it for my dive school (with steel plate).

So my dive buddy just received hers from a big pro buy at our shop and I am less impressed than I thought I would be. The handle that I thought was a great innovation is fine, but much less robust than I thought it might be. The pro harness is just plain clunky, and with all the monoprene pieces in place it is very BC like, although the plate pad is very nice. The wing looks huge next to an Oxycheq or DGX 30, not a big fan but it does appear to be very well made.

The biggest surprise to me was how the STA (which I think is awesome) fits on the SP plate. I had previously ordered one and mounted it on my Zeagle plate, it works very well, is solid, and I wasn't surprised that the edges don't actually contact the plate since they weren't designed for each other. It still works perfectly, looks good and I love the design. The surprise is that it fits the exact same way on the SP plate. I assumed that they would meld together better. The SP plate has a nice smooth curve but essentially the two mounting holes are raised exactly the same height as the ridge on every other brand of backplate.

In the end I am glad I saw one and played with it in person before I plunked down the money as the only part of the system I really am in love with is the STA.

So my dive buddy just received hers from a big pro buy at our shop and I am less impressed than I thought I would be. The handle that I thought was a great innovation is fine, but much less robust than I thought it might be. The pro harness is just plain clunky, and with all the monoprene pieces in place it is very BC like, although the plate pad is very nice. The wing looks huge next to an Oxycheq or DGX 30, not a big fan but it does appear to be very well made.

The biggest surprise to me was how the STA (which I think is awesome) fits on the SP plate. I had previously ordered one and mounted it on my Zeagle plate, it works very well, is solid, and I wasn't surprised that the edges don't actually contact the plate since they weren't designed for each other. It still works perfectly, looks good and I love the design. The surprise is that it fits the exact same way on the SP plate. I assumed that they would meld together better. The SP plate has a nice smooth curve but essentially the two mounting holes are raised exactly the same height as the ridge on every other brand of backplate.

In the end I am glad I saw one and played with it in person before I plunked down the money as the only part of the system I really am in love with is the STA.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this and also appreciate the thoughtful "this is good / this is bad" approach vs. so many others who have just poo-poo'd it because it's an expensive piece of kit from Scubapro.

I still have not see any of it in person, but my initial impression of both the 30 and 40lb wings from all the videos was "wow, these look big", so interesting to hear you confirm that.

Regarding the Pro harness, what you describe is actually a plus to me. I like the idea of a "BC like" harness and don't apologize for it, but I suspect many folks, like yourself, would prefer something much more Hogarthian and simple (as Scubapro probably realized, since they are also offering the "Pure" harness as an option).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom