Scubapro S-Tek Line Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevenrider860

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have had a chance to dive some of the new S-Tek products this summer. Overall, the product line is a nice improvement over the prior generation. Many call the new backplate design a "gimmick", but for single cylinder diving, I am really liking the design with the integrated handle and I appreciate the single cinch band on the new STA. The new STA is wider that most models and I need to see how it will fit with my Halcyon 20 Eclipse wing that I use for tropical diving.

Where I think Scubapro failed is in their webbing. On one of the YouTube videos Rhys Couzyn describes the webbing as being "Exactly Correct". I know that webbing is very much a personal choice, but it is not even close to being correct in my opinion. The webbing is so soft that the Scubapro branded silicone loops will cause the webbing to curl. The webbing is way too soft and limp and it will be replaced by some Halcyon webbing once I get the time.

The new wings now include a "traditional" style inflator that Scubapro calls the Tek-BPI. This is a welcome change over the previous line. It is a traditional K-Style inflator that can be purchased for less than $20...about 1/4 the price of the Scubapro Tek-BPI. If you like blue buttons, then the Scubapro Tek-BPI is the inflator you have been looking for!

The Scubapro S-Tek line is not cheap and you can certainly find equivalent rigs for much less money, but the backplate and STA are unique and I think they are a welcome design change worth looking at.

An Air2 will certainly fit the corrugated hose. I need to measure to see the length of the corrugated hose on my wing. I am not sure if it is any shorter than the one on the Hydros Pro. I know you can unscrew and swap the entire assembly between the Hydros Pro and the S-Tek wing. Scubapro makes a 14in and 16in corrugated hose for their BCDs, but that hose is a little different than what they are shipping with the S-Tek wings.

Later tonight I will try to measure the length.

An Air2 will certainly fit the corrugated hose. I need to measure to see the length of the corrugated hose on my wing. I am not sure if it is any shorter than the one on the Hydros Pro. I know you can unscrew and swap the entire assembly between the Hydros Pro and the S-Tek wing. Scubapro makes a 14in and 16in corrugated hose for their BCDs, but that hose is a little different than what they are shipping with the S-Tek wings.

Later tonight I will try to measure the length.
Thank you for the response! So, would I just swap the whole hose at the relief valve on the S-Tek or at the end of the hose where the controls/regulator are located?

I just measured the corrugated tube on my S-Tek wing and it looks to be 16 inches. You should be able to replace the inflator with an AIr2 directly at the hose end.

I just measured the corrugated tube on my S-Tek wing and it looks to be 16 inches. You should be able to replace the inflator with an AIr2 directly at the hose end.
Thanks very much!

...at the end of the hose by the inflator or the whole tube/Air2 at the wing?

What does that have to do with me and my diving?

Thought this was a gear review, not your open water eval

🙄🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911_204958.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911_204958.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 130

Back
Top Bottom