Scubapro reg.s - What are the differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that no one has really truly touched on is:
Living in NE you can easily see cold dark conditions most of the year. But that is all subjective. I personally do not feel it is cold water diving until it is below 42 degrees. As most of the year it is around that anyway. As crazy as it sounds I dive wet 9 months out of the year in those Temps. Only when it goes below 42 do I dive dry. Now that being said my mk25's have never ever had an issue in the 42 degree and higher range. (I don't know if I would dive them below 34, as that is the coldest I've taken them).

But to get to the point. You need to ask yourself if you truly will be diving in those temperatures. If so, I would look at a mk17. A lot of people think* they will dive in those temperatures, until they actually do and realize just how cold 40 degree and lower water temperatures actually are. It is kind of like your wife closing the garage door on you when you went to grab the paper, and you are only wearing underwear without socks and it is 5 degrees outside with a 30 mile an hour wind. You don't quit recognizing the cold until you are cold. At that point *IT SUCKS*

Just my $. 02

What makes a regulator "worth it"? Does it do something another reg can't do?

Worth it if the purchaser feels he has bought a quality product that he can depend on for years.

Some people like the cheap way out and get by and some people like myself feel that once they have arrived at what they feel is the best for them will not ever disappoint.

Worth it if the purchaser feels he has bought a quality product that he can depend on for years.

Some people like the cheap way out and get by and some people like myself feel that once they have arrived at what they feel is the best for them will not ever disappoint.
I can't argue with that but I always try to avoid any purchase based on "feel" only.

What you are describing is a common mechanism for high end product sales; narcissism. You want to feel better about yourself for having made a premium purchase. Don't feel bad, we're all guilty of it at one time or another.

But with regulators it has really gotten absurd. There is almost no practical difference between any decent quality regulator in terms of in-water performance, safety, and longevity. More importantly, there is no practical difference between current high end regulators and those sold decades ago. So you might feel better about diving with a new high end regulator, but the fact is it won't actually perform any better than an old but well maintained model.

In the end it is your money and your diving, so you should get what you want. Any of the regulators you've mentioned will work well for you; in fact, you probably would not be able to tell the difference in the water. Regarding cold water performance, unless you are diving with a drysuit, it makes no difference. In a wetsuit, you won't be able to stand water cold enough to make a MK25 (or any other piston regulator) freeze.

That philosophy--buy gear that I can depend on for years and years because it's built like a tank by a reputable manufacturer--is something I apply not just to scuba but all kinds of endeavors. I own some expensive stuff. As far as dive gear, I have a Shearwater computer, despite knowing there are less expensive computers that would suit my needs. However, when it comes to regulators, I am ambivalent. I post this here not to persuade you to buy less expensive regs but to once again, as in various previous threads on purchasing regs, see if anyone can suggest a plausible yardstick for measuring reg "quality."

I would have no reservations buying expensive regs if I were persuaded they were of higher "quality" than less expensive regs or would last longer or be more dependable than less expensive regs. But basic regulator design hasn't changed in years. They all operate pretty much the same way. They're all made pretty much the same way. The differences are subtle from a mechanical design perspective, though manufacturers would like us consumers to believe the differences should be weighted heavily in our decisions. How does a reg shopper define "quality"? In a first stage? Some have swiveling turrets, some are piston, some are diaphragm, and in work-of-breathing tests on a test machine they might score differently. But for purposes of the diving I am likely to do, they all would work just as well--I could never tell the difference underwater. A second stage? There are very few reports of failures, such as, for example, plastic-bodied second stages cracking; and in the unlikely event something like that breaks, a second stage can be repaired or replaced at reasonable cost. Failures of any kind DURING a dive (to me, that's where "quality" would count most) are exceedingly rare.

Part of my brain would actually LIKE to be persuaded to buy the most expensive regs, as it would fit with my philosophy about other stuff I own. I dive with people who own Scubapro and Halcyon regs, and I could readily be persuaded to buy some for myself. But from all I have read, some of the least expensive regs (e.g., HOG, Deep 6) work just as well for any kind of diving I am likely to do as the most expensive regs and will, for my purposes, be as dependable and last as long as the most expensive regs.

In another recent thread, I remarked that I had not read of a single instance in which someone disliked the regs they had chosen. Someone replied by noting a reg he did not like. The issue he pointed out involved just one brand--Cressi, which he said even his OW students did not like--and (if I recall correctly) mainly involved issues such as the venturi lever not having much effect, not anything to do with their "quality." I'll toss out the question again: Who has regretted their choice of reg because they found it to lack in "quality"/"dependability," and what reg did you replace it with? Maybe someone will reply by noting one such reg. For every one of those instances, there are probably dozens of us happily diving with the same regs we have had for 20 years.

I have a friend who lives in Northern Germany who bought 2 of the mk25 evo's with G260s. He dives year round in the Baltic and last winter tried to freeze the mk25's by purging them outside in near freezung weather. They wouldn't freeze. He said he was impressed.

By the way if you have someone in Europe / England you can buy ScubaPro regs for a lot cheaper. He brought his from some online shope in England and a doubles setup with hoses, spg's etc was about $700 -$800 for both regs if I recall correctly.

I have a friend who lives in Northern Germany who bought 2 of the mk25 evo's with G260s. He dives year round in the Baltic and last winter tried to freeze the mk25's by purging them outside in near freezung weather. They wouldn't freeze. He said he was impressed.

By the way if you have someone in Europe / England you can buy ScubaPro regs for a lot cheaper. He brought his from some online shope in England and a doubles setup with hoses, spg's etc was about $700 -$800 for both regs if I recall correctly.

I heard third party that Scubapro changed some of the parts kits for these regulators from Europe to prevent them from being purchased cheap and imported. *unknown how reliable that statement is* I took at with a grain of salt, much like banter at the local gun shop.

Both the Mk17 and the MK25 are great regulators. Most freezing of regulators is caused by misuse anyway (usually water inside the first stage). I use mk25s the swivel is great for routing and means the regulator is adaptable as a stage reg, sidemount, twinset or rebreather. The routing is really great for all of those applications. Without knowing which specific type of diving you are doing I can't offer you and any more advice. Also only you can decide whether the MK25 is worth the extra money. I wouldn't let cold water be a consideration to be honest.

All I will say is my Halcyon MK25's are the best breathing regs I've ever had. I even got rid of my Atomic T3's as I preferred the Mk25's. Whether you choose to go for all the bells and whistles on the 2nd stage is up to you. They also have a nice chrome finish which is pretty tough.

I heard third party that Scubapro changed some of the parts kits for these regulators from Europe to prevent them from being purchased cheap and imported. *unknown how reliable that statement is* I took at with a grain of salt, much like banter at the local gun shop.

I don't think it's true. I have SP regs out of Europe and kits from all over the world and have never encountered an issue. I would imagine that doing so would be a nightmare for SP.

Back
Top Bottom