Scubapro rebuild kit shelf life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently bought (ebay) a SP Air2 2nd Gen rebuild kit. It appears to be old stock from the 90s. Is there is a shelf life on the o-rings and other "soft" parts. They are still in original packaging dated 2003. The rubber appears fine.

IF they were stored properly - cool dark place- odds are they are fine. I did some searching for the "shelf life" of orings a while back and the only thing I could find was a recommendation for a 15 year shelf life for Orings used in aviation service. If it's good enough to go in an airplane then I would think they are good enough to go in dive regulators. I rebuild a lot of regs from the early to mid 60s and most of them work fine with just a cleaning and relubing of the original orings..... I don't consider reusing the old orings as an acceptable rebuild, I just do it as a quick way to get it back operating for display use and to look for other mechanical problems before I go through the trouble of hunting down the proper replacements but it does show that most orings will last a lot longer than most think, eps when you consider the mistreatment a lot of these regs have obviously seen..

The old hyperthane o-rings had a recommended 5 year shelf life and many of those, especially the red colored ones, did get crispy over time, but the EPDM o-rings last pretty much forever on the shelf.

If they are black colored, and don't feel stiff or crispy you are good to go.

On the flip side, if they are so old as to have degraded, they will let you know with leaks. Red Scubapro o-rings are often hardened and unusable. But I still have blues and purples in a few of my regs in static applications and no problems with them. And, I have replaced some red o-rings, often on an old 2nd stage orifice, where the o-ring would break apart as it was being removed but was still making the seal or, at worse, just leaking slightly.

You don't really need a kit for the AIR2, or most of the classic downstream second stages.
For the price of a kit, you can buy awap's magic punch to fabricate the seats, a bag of SS lock nuts, and a few assorted O-rings, and that'll last at least a couple of generations.

And you can expect it to work for a long time: these guys are very low maintenance. I service mines every 5 years or so, and that's because I'm cautious, not because they need it.

Back
Top Bottom