Scubapro R190 vs G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachhead

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are these 2 second stages really different and will R190 breathe inferior in greater depths?

R190s are marketed as an Octopus or rental regulators. And G250s are upper ends. But are they really different?

From what I heard some WKPP divers use poseidon 1st stage and a G250 for 2nd stages.

Geo vs Caddy. Two TOTALLY different regs. The R190 is a "classic down stream" vs the G250 being balanced. R190 is super easy to rebuild(almost doable blindfolded) but the G250 isnt too hard, just more involved. If you plan on doing much diving at all, go with the G250.

I just heard yesterday that they really like the poseidon first stages...

beachhead:
Are these 2 second stages really different and will R190 breathe inferior in greater depths?

Yes, at all depths the G250 breaths better.

For a DIR setup some not all divers prefer a balanced high performance regulator like the G250 as their primary regulator and a non-balanced regulator like the R190 as their backup. The reason why they might like the non-balanced regulator as a backup is they are more reliable and have fewer parts; and if your primary balanced regulator fails, you end the dive, and given the worst conditions your non-balanced regulator will hopefully get you to your exit point.

It is highly unlikely two balanced regulators will fail therefore the trend for DIR divers is to use two balanced regulators as a primary and a backup. (i.e. two S600s or G250s or TX50s, etc.).

I personally like the breathing characteristics of the G250 as my primary and the small size and light weight of the R395 as my backup around my neck.

beachhead:
From what I heard some WKPP divers use poseidon 1st stage and a G250 for 2nd stages.
I had not heard that. Which Poseidon 1st stage are they using? Not all can be matched up.

beachhead:

Probably years ago. I think it was a Poseidon Odin first stage/G250 pairing...

Now, maybe because of RB80 hose routing requirement, and perhaps David Rhea's Scubapro connection (?), there's a lot of the Scubapro piston first stages (mostly MK20/25) being used by the WKPP. I also hear "...piston regulators, they are the preferred choice for stage and decompression bottles as a piston design can better withstand any water accidentally getting into the HP chamber than a diaphragm design" type explanations...

Some prefer Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom