Scubapro R109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halo you are correct. The adjustment knob in Mr. Slater's picture was first used in the 156 aka Balanced Adjustable. They get bent when someone uses the knob as a fulcrum when removing or installing the stop clip. This is easy to avoid by taking the tension off the stop pin by running the knob in halfway and use a plastic or wooden stick perpendicular to the stem to install or remove the clip-no pressure on the knob is necessary.

Now if any of my brethren have developed a method to straighten out the stem, I'm all ears.

Now if any of my brethren have developed a method to straighten out the stem, I'm all ears.

What, those old things? If the stem is bent, I just throw out the whole regulator. It's probably too old to be safe anyway. I want something in black, with a red venturi adjustment. And a swivel. And some rose colored metallic plastic anodizing. And...

Does it still turn OK?

You and Ross Perrot.

Two methods:

1. Put the reg in a vise, clamp it down hard. Get a hammer, a big one.
2. Step on the reg with one foot, the stem with the other. Eat a lot of pasta for week prior to doing this.

(Edited out unnecessary commentary)

This post is intended for entertainment only!

Last edited:
A less extreme measure would be to ask a mechanic to straighten it with a hydraulic press. In my motorcycling days, I've had a couple of accidents and the mechanics have always been able to straighten the fork to a hundredth of a millimeter (Swiss guys :)).

A more convenient way is to buy one new: the G250V part 11.261.031 should fit and the retail price is about 20 bucks. I see no reason why your local friendly DS wouldn't sell you one.

Here's a crude method that works for me and, surprisingly, hasn't damaged the case.

Screw the knob down into the body until there's just enough room under the lowest point to fit a medium flathead and then pry/bend the knob over to the high point.......screw down a bit more and repeat.

Yes, my first Balanced Adjustable had that knob. I think I purchased it new in 1986/87. The owner of the dive shop where I worked bent a customer's G250 knob stem and, "Hey Couv, let me borrow the knob from yours so I get this one out to the customer-I'll get you an new one real soon." My baby still has a bent knob stem today. :(

I got my G250V back from a service a couple years back and noticed my stem was bent a little as well. It was one of those things that I couldn't be certain it was not bent before but I would usually notice something like that. Functions okay and plan to have it replaced at its' next service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom