Scubapro R109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone still use the R109? If so what do you think about it and how does it compare to the newer designs?

pure junk..... send it to me and I'll see that it is disposed of correctly.....:D You wouldn't want to be seen diving one of those.....:shakehead:

So I would assume you like it ... :)

I've got 4. I use them more than anything else, usually with a Mk5 or Mk10 din, depending on which tank I'm using. The Mk5's threads are a tiny bit too short for some valves. The 109 (no letter prefix) is as good or better a breather than almost anything out there. It's both beautiful and absolutely reliable, and takes about 10 minutes to service, a bit longer to rebuild. Fitted with a balanced poppet (and spring) it's a 156 (no letter prefix), and is even better, though not by much. Finely adjusting them brings either to a state of operational excellence consistent with their incomparably impressive appearance and elegant simplicity. I've had one since 1972, and still dive it. All new rubber, new poppets, seats and springs over the years, but still a 109 and a joy. I can't think of anyone I'd want to leave it to, so I'll probably be buried with it.

I've got 4. I use them more than anything else, usually with a Mk5 or Mk10 din, depending on which tank I'm using. The Mk5's threads are a tiny bit too short for some valves. The 109 (no letter prefix) is as good or better a breather than almost anything out there. It's both beautiful and absolutely reliable, and takes about 10 minutes to service, a bit longer to rebuild. Fitted with a balanced poppet (and spring) it's a 156 (no letter prefix), and is even better, though not by much. Finely adjusting them brings either to a state of operational excellence consistent with their incomparably impressive appearance and elegant simplicity. I've had one since 1972, and still dive it. All new rubber, new poppets, seats and springs over the years, but still a 109 and a joy. I can't think of anyone I'd want to leave it to, so I'll probably be buried with it.

So what's the difference between the 109 and R109?

Exactly what agilis said, but sadly I only have two :(.

Great 2nd stages. Some "modern" 2nd stages may have a bit more venturi effect, but I really like the "smoothness" of the -109's.

Best wishes.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 03:09 PM ----------

So what's the difference between the 109 and R109?

The "R". Somehow, folks on the various boards (me included :no: ) , added the "R".

No "R" needed. Just call it a "-109", thank you very much!! :wink:

Best wishes.

All of my secondaries are original 109 (unbalanced). My primaries mostly balanced versions but it is hard to tell the difference in performance. When my granddaughter got certified 2 years ago at age 12, I set her up with her own gear including a Mk5/156/109. They breath every bit as good as today's plastic regulators. And they will outlast them.

Exactly what agilis said, but sadly I only have two :(.

Great 2nd stages. Some "modern" 2nd stages may have a bit more venturi effect, but I really like the "smoothness" of the -109's.

Best wishes.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 03:09 PM ----------

The "R". Somehow, folks on the various boards (me included :no: ) , added the "R".

No "R" needed. Just call it a "-109", thank you very much!! :wink:

Best wishes.

Ahhh so the "R" is an error got it thank you

So I would assume you like it ... :)

Yep, have a little stash of a few (something like 12-14)...... simple, elegant, dependible. The all brass body is a wonder here in cold water. Teamed with a modern MK-17, its one sweet combination.

Ahhh so the "R" is an error got it thank you

I believe that they were originally sold as the 'high performance adjustable 2nd stage' with the MK5 1st stage, and the entire set was simply called the MK5. The part number for the 2nd stage was 109. "156" refers to the balanced version of the same 2nd stage.

SP had a popular unbalanced plastic 2nd called the R190, hence the confusion.

Maybe the most successful 2nd stage design in history, in terms of longevity, influence on later 2nd stages, and performance.

Back
Top Bottom