Scubapro R108 High Performance -manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, where is the best place to get a dozen or so seats for R108 and which glue is recommended for these?

This takes the same hockey puck seat as modern Scubapro regs. Trident also makes a seat that will work. I'm sure that a number of other mfgrs use compatible seats. I don't use any glue on the seat but it looks like rubber cement is often used. The shoulder on the poppet and gas pressure will keep the seat from going anywhere.

This takes the same hockey puck seat as modern Scubapro regs. Trident also makes a seat that will work. I'm sure that a number of other mfgrs use compatible seats. I don't use any glue on the seat but it looks like rubber cement is often used. The shoulder on the poppet and gas pressure will keep the seat from going anywhere.

I basically subscribe to the same idea, but lately I have encounter some hockey puck seats that don’t fit as snug in the seat carriers (poppet) and I am afraid they may move or rotate just a bit. I am not referring to a Scubapro 108, but other vintage regulators of similar down stream demand valve design that use the same type of hokey puck.

In these situations I have been using just a tiny bit of Aquaseal. It seems to work well, but I use an very small amount on the tip of a tooth pick.

Thanks. Which is your preferred brand of rubber cement? (question to everyone)

[edit] DA, I didn't see you previous response when I wrote this. I use aquaseal for all kinds of drysuit and other repairs - it's awesome. I just wasn't sure if it were the ideal thing for seats. I guess it is... :)

By the way, folks, what exactly is the issue with taking off the nylock nut on these regs? Why can't it be reused once off? Where can one find replacements from?

By the way, folks, what exactly is the issue with taking off the nylock nut on these regs? Why can't it be reused once off? Where can one find replacements from?

Because scubapro says you must use a new nyloc nut every time. A new on comes in the service kit.

I think I replaced my first nyloc nut yesterday. It was my wife's reg and I really don't need any problems with that. A used nyloc nut will not grip as well as a new one. If it does loosen, the reg will become progressively harder to breath. In a pinch, I suspect a little heat on the used nylon at the head of the nut would make it as good as new.

Which service kid do you mean? Do you think that this particular nylock nut is ScubaPro specific or it is a generic one available commercially?

Which service kid do you mean? Do you think that this particular nylock nut is ScubaPro specific or it is a generic one available commercially?

It is a 1/4 inch nut with 5-40 threading I believe. It is included in R-series and Air2 kits. I'd expect the McMaster-Carr would carry them.

In the early 80’ when I was working for a government sub-contractor (that built electronics for the military, NASA, etc.) I ran into a study that was commissioned by the Air Force on the re-use of nylon locking nuts. The study was to determine if Nylock nuts could ever be reused and if it could, how many times it could be re-used.

I can’t remember the details of the study, but what I recall is that a Nylock nut did retain its locking feature for a number of re-use.

The study involved a statistical analysis of a large sample testing since griping torque of any individual nut varies even when they are new.

The bottom line, as I remember, is that you could easily reuse a Nylock about half a dozen times (min., possibly more like 10 to 20 times) and be safely within its specified tolerance for griping torque. As I recall the biggest issue they had is how to keep track the number of reuse or re-qualify (test, etc.) them for reuse.

Keep in mind that this study was to see if Nylock nuts could be reused in the field…in a high vibration environment…for combat aircrafts, etc.

I feel very safe reusing a Nylock several times, but I can easily tell as I screw one in if it feels too loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom