Scubapro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My first reg (1995??) was a Scubapro Mk20/G250. I've always owned SP but recently switched to its cousin, Atomic. I'm happy with the Atomic (& may buy a T3, but that's another topic!) but want a SP reg.
I have a G250 & am looking at a G260, S500, S555 & a S600. Although the "which is better" question may apply here, my first question is kind of simple:
why is the "metal tube/barrel" (I am not a tech but want to learn) often mentioned (old 250s, certain 500s & the 260) on this site BETTER?
What makes it superior to composite?
Metal would act as a heat sink; I can see pros & cons to this. Which specific SP 2nds have the metal barrel?
I've seen a lot of Mk20s (mainly yoke) for sale online, & they're not too $$.
Is there really any (non-cold diving) PERFORMANCE reason to get a Mk25 EVO over a Mk25 or Mk20?
Based on what I've read, the Mk20 IS a 25 on the inside. The 25 does have "fins" which, again, would act to exchange heat.
If you had your druthers, which SP combo would you have & why?
Thanks!!

I don't like soft purge covers as they can stain, distort and crumble.
I like simple.
I service my own kit.

My SP choice would be a MK5 or10 coupled with a G250 / G250V / G260.

why is the "metal tube/barrel" (I am not a tech but want to learn) often mentioned (old 250s, certain 500s & the 260) on this site BETTER?
What makes it superior to composite?
Metal would act as a heat sink; I can see pros & cons to this.

Is there really any (non-cold diving) PERFORMANCE reason to get a Mk25 EVO over a Mk25 or Mk20?

What do you see as cons for a metal air barrel? IMO there are none. Metal warms and moistens the air as it expands, this makes it more pleasant to breathe and helps reduce freezing.

There is no reason I know of to get the EVO model, actually I don't even know what that is, but I bet it's nothing important.....the MK25 has not really changed much in several years. The important change was the composite piston, that locks up perfectly and has very little IP drop during high demand. So any MK20 or 25 with that piston is likely to perform extremely well.

Since you're considering buying a new atomic titanium regulator, you evidently don't mind spending a fortune for a regulator, but I personally would look for an early MK25 and a G250V. Similar to Fishpie, I like the older regs better, so I would tell you to buy a metal case 109 (or balanced/adjustable) and have it refitted with the current poppet and lever. Then you'll get basically a G250 in a nice metal case. Pair that with any of the balanced piston SP 1st stages and you'll have something really great.

I just spent what to me is a fortune on a canister light, so if you have any interest I can sell you a MK5 and 109 that appear to have never been in the water. They've been sitting in my dive closet for years; I actually have not wanted to use them because they look brand new. I have new rubber parts (purge cover and exhaust tee) for the 109 so for all intents it is completely as new. Same for the MK5, and it's a late model 5 LP port with a metal saddle, which is unusual.

Sorry to turn your thread into a sales pitch! I imagine you'd rather stay with newer regulators, so go for an earlier MK25 or MK20 and the G250V.

I don't like soft purge covers as they can stain, distort and crumble.
I like simple.
I service my own kit.

The new diaphragm covers and exhaust T's for 109's made from silicone will outlast us all. A 109 with a balanced adjustable poppet and the above updates is a fantastic 2nd stage.

My SP choice would be a MK5 or10 coupled with a G250 / G250V / G260.

Great choices and properly cared for should last a lifetime.

Metal can corrode; composite doesn't. Properly cared for, that shouldn't be a concern though.
As for your assumption that I'm willing to spend a fortune...well, you know what they say happens when one assumes. :).
FWIW-I found a couple of used T2/T3s at good prices; subtract the $$ from the sale of my "extra" gear & it's not too bad $ wise.
I'm actually pretty set on the SP Mk25/20 & one of their 2nds (as I stated, I have an older G250 already) and/or an AA. I've owned/used SP 20s & AA gear; I know & trust it. The Mk5/109 combo is GREAT...a workhorse. That's probably why it's so common in the rental gear dept! Thanks though!
(Geez! What a verbose answer I just posted!)

The Mk5/109 combo is GREAT...a workhorse. That's probably why it's so common in the rental gear dept!

I've never seen a MK5/109 in a rental fleet. Are you sure you're not thinking of the MK2/R190? That's the common rental set. The MK5/109 is completely different.

What do you see as cons for a metal air barrel? IMO there are none. Metal warms and moistens the air as it expands, this makes it more pleasant to breathe and helps reduce freezing.

There is no reason I know of to get the EVO model, actually I don't even know what that is, but I bet it's nothing important.....the MK25 has not really changed much in several years. The important change was the composite piston, that locks up perfectly and has very little IP drop during high demand. So any MK20 or 25 with that piston is likely to perform extremely well.

Since you're considering buying a new atomic titanium regulator, you evidently don't mind spending a fortune for a regulator, but I personally would look for an early MK25 and a G250V. Similar to Fishpie, I like the older regs better, so I would tell you to buy a metal case 109 (or balanced/adjustable) and have it refitted with the current poppet and lever. Then you'll get basically a G250 in a nice metal case. Pair that with any of the balanced piston SP 1st stages and you'll have something really great.

I just spent what to me is a fortune on a canister light, so if you have any interest I can sell you a MK5 and 109 that appear to have never been in the water. They've been sitting in my dive closet for years; I actually have not wanted to use them because they look brand new. I have new rubber parts (purge cover and exhaust tee) for the 109 so for all intents it is completely as new. Same for the MK5, and it's a late model 5 LP port with a metal saddle, which is unusual.

Sorry to turn your thread into a sales pitch! I imagine you'd rather stay with newer regulators, so go for an earlier MK25 or MK20 and the G250V.

Hello, I may be interested in your referenced MK5/109 reg set. I also sent you a profile post on this same subject. (SB has made a lot of format changes so I'm not sure what happened to the 'old' PM (private message option), so I used the profile post option instead.

Thanks! Karl

Gee...I thought I started this thread to get some questions answered. I didn't realize I posted it on the classified section! :) :clearmask:LOL!
Anyway, what about the Mk20UL? Salt water & Al don't mix too well, so I'm curious if anyone knows if SP's "ceramic coating" on the Mk20UL works at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom