Scubapro Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is more information on the Pilot, which was the entire evaluation by the U.S. Navy Experimental Diving Unit (NEDU).

Evaluation of Scubapro MK V Pilot Open-Circuit Scuba Regulator.

You can download the entire study by going to the bottom of the page and clicking on the links.

The Pilot, A.I.R. I and many, many other regulators were also evaluated by the NEDU.

Evaluation of Commercially Available Open Circuit Scuba Regulators.

One point made in the first study on the Pilot was that the regulator performance was affected by the first stage pressure drop, and that by attaching a second second stage to the other side of the regulator, you could overcome these pressure drops. This could be used with the A.I.R. I too.
EdCraig:
Where can I get my Pilot and MK-5 serviced? The 2 LDS Itook my Pilot and MK-5 to would not even talk about a service, too much moneyto work on, parts not available, too old, can buy new and better 2ndstage, 1St stage cannot be used on 3000 psi tank. The second DS is aScubaPro dealer. This was a Cadillac setup when new.

Ed, show them the figures from the NEDU, and say that if they can produce a better breathing regulator, you'll buy it. Don't worry--that regulator hasn't been made recently (although several such as the Cyclone 300 approach the Pilot). You can probably service the first stag and the Mark V second stage yourself, as it is pretty easy if you know how to do it. The Pilot is a different matter.
I'll leave that discussion to others who have those regulators. But don't get rid of it. The U.S. Navy used that regulator on chamber dives to about 3000 feet, from what I hear.

John

PS, in my avitar, I'm using my A.I.R. I.

Where can I get my Pilot and MK-5 serviced? The 2 LDS Itook my Pilot and MK-5 to would not even talk about a service, too much moneyto work on, parts not available, too old, can buy new and better 2ndstage, 1St stage cannot be used on 3000 psi tank. The second DS is aScubaPro dealer. This was a Cadillac setup when new.

Ed, I suggest you contact DA Aquamaster (he's posted on this thread) about servicing your regulator and selling you the heavier MK5 yoke. You'll get expert service and the heavier yoke is great for modern tanks. I routinely use mine on HP tanks (3442 PSI).

In the worst case with your pilot, if it's original there might be some part that is faulty and cannot be replaced. In that case you could have it converted with the working parts from an Air 1, which DA Aquamaster will either have or be able to find. Your pilot may already be converted anyway.

I had my A.I.R. I in the water today in the Clackamas River. It still breaths like a dream. I swam hard, against substantial current (excess of 2 knots), and it supplied all the air I needed. Used my 72 in about 50 minutes (with some snorkeling time on the surface when I changed facemasks. I tested out my old Scubapro Tri-View without the exhalation nozzle, and it was great.

SeaRat

Just browsing through the Pilot info
I have a huge stock of all Pilot reg and Air 1 parts
I can service or sell parts if anyone is looking as you seem to know what these great regs are so if you come across someone needing parts or service
i can be contacted via
deepspecdiving@bigpond.com
or fax + 61 8 8564 3429
Regards
Burnie Grayson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom