Scubapro Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though the diaphragms aren't available, you'll probably never need one. The only real drawback to the Air 1 is that it is a bit of a wet breather when you're fully inverted, for example, looking into a hole, or if you have a very strong current running from either side.

Actually I've had two torn diaphragms; one came on an air 1 that I had bought for the diaphragm (and other parts) and one that I suspect had a very small tear that I made quite a bit worse while fiddling with the clip. To me it's much easier working with the pilot case than the air 1 in terms of removing and installing the diaphragm. I can only imagine how many of those were torn by careless 'techs' in a hurry.

I also find that my air 1s breathe a little more wet than either of my converted pilots when upside down. The only thing I can think of that might be responsible for this is a better fit between diaphragm and case on the metal case pilot.

I also find that my air 1s breathe a little more wet than either of my converted pilots when upside down. The only thing I can think of that might be responsible for this is a better fit between diaphragm and case on the metal case pilot.
That's not it at all.

The Pilot is the Chuck Norris of regulators so water is to scared to even think about entering one.

I bought my A.I.R I new in the early 1980s. It is without a doubt the best regulator I have ever owned, and I still have it and dive it. This is the regulator which is confused with the BC, as Scubapro also had the A.I.R. II which was an integrated into the BC. Both these were acronyms, but people tend to forget that. Here's the acronyms, spelled out:

A.I.R. I: Air Inhalation Regulator (Cat. 45-101-187).
A.I.R. II: Alternate Inflation Regulator.

To my knowledge, there never was a BC from Scubapro named the "Pilot"; it was the A.I.R. II that was confused with the A.I.R. I. I still have all the original documentation on my A.I.R. I too, and will give some interesting graphs on both the Pilot and the A.I.R. I which Scubapro published in their Technical Manuals for Scubapro Regulators and the Addendum for the A.I.R. I.

I really liked the streamlined design of the A.I.R. I, as in a current it was not bothered by water flow at all. I remember diving in Steamboat Creek, off the North Umpqua River, and poking my head up over a rock into the main current of the stream, and the regulator staying easily in my mouth because of the design. I watched several trout trying to swim upstream in the heavy current, and it took them a while to do it. The regulator stayed perfectly in my mouth the whole time.

More later.

SeaRat

Last edited:
To my knowledge, there never was a BC from Scubapro named the "Pilot"; it was the A.I.R. II that was confused with the A.I.R. I. I still have all the original documentation on my A.I.R. I too, and will give some interesting graphs on both the Pilot and the A.I.R. I which Scubapro published in their B]Technical Manuals for Scubapro Regulators[/B] and the Addendum for the A.I.R. I.

SeaRat

I ran across a SP Pilot BCD on Ebay SP Pilot BCD.jpg If you look at the BC hose keeper its SP.

Scubapro Pilot, Mk V and AIR I Breathing Resistance

I ran across a SP Pilot BCD on EbayView attachment 131363 If you look at the BC hose keeper its SP.
AfterDark, thank you for the correction. I did not know that this BC existed. My latest Scubapro catalog is 2003, and it is not listed there. So it must be a modern BC. I appreciate the correction. But why would they name it the "Pilot" when they had a regulator of that name? Well, then again why would they name a BC/Inflator/regulator the A.I.R. II too? :wink:

I've scanned the graphs for the Scubapro Pilot, Mark V and A.I.R. I second stage's breathing resistance. These are in my Technical Manual for Scubapro Regulators, and the A.I.R. I AIR INHALATION REGULATOR SECOND STAGE, Addendum to TECHNICAL MANUAL for SCUBAPRO REGULATORS (Cat. 45-101-187)

If these graphs are correct, the A.I.R. I out-performs the Pilot.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Scubapro Pilot and Mk V Breathing Resistance.jpg
    Scubapro Pilot and Mk V Breathing Resistance.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Scubapro AIR I Breathing Resistance.jpg
    Scubapro AIR I Breathing Resistance.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
AfterDark, thank you for the correction. I did not know that this BC existed. My latest Scubapro catalog is 2003, and it is not listed there. So it must be a modern BC. I appreciate the correction. But why would they name it the "Pilot" when they had a regulator of that name? Well, then again why would they name a BC/Inflator/regulator the A.I.R. II too? :wink:

I've scanned the graphs for the Scubapro Pilot, Mark V and A.I.R. I second stage's breathing resistance. These are in my Technical Manual for Scubapro Regulators, and the A.I.R. I AIR INHALATION REGULATOR SECOND STAGE, Addendum to TECHNICAL MANUAL for SCUBAPRO REGULATORS (Cat. 45-101-187)

If these graphs are correct, the A.I.R. I out-performs the Pilot.

SeaRat

John, I didn't mean it as a correction more of a FYI. I didn't know there was a BCD by that name until 5 min. before I posted it! I was poking around Ebay and viola! There it was! The name game they play seems to have no rhyme or reason. By any name that reg breaths like a dream. I saw one on Ebay and was tempted to bid on it for a ID set up replacing the R109's, but I just replaced my snorkel and fins that I lost. I dropped a tank off for Nitrox cleaning with at least 2 more maybe 3 more to follow @ $60.00 per, Mrs AfterDark will put the lights out on me if I spend that is charge anymore dive gear!

Where can I get my Pilot and MK-5 serviced? The 2 LDS Itook my Pilot and MK-5 to would not even talk about a service, too much moneyto work on, parts not available, too old, can buy new and better 2ndstage, 1St stage cannot be used on 3000 psi tank. The second DS is aScubaPro dealer. This was a Cadillac setup when new.

Where can I get my Pilot and MK-5 serviced? The 2 LDS Itook my Pilot and MK-5 to would not even talk about a service, too much moneyto work on, parts not available, too old, can buy new and better 2ndstage, 1St stage cannot be used on 3000 psi tank. The second DS is aScubaPro dealer. This was a Cadillac setup when new.

They want to sell you a reg(s). I've been using my Mk5 on 3000psi since I had the yoke changed to 3000psi service so long ago I don't even want too guess. I still do, did just yesterday. The pilot might be tough not many people left that can really do it right. The Mk5/R109 design is what most piston regs are based on. The parts are not avaibile from SP but I see them pon Ebay all the time. If new is better than maybe they are right but I've never let anyone try my Mk5/R109's that said X reg was better.

As noted above, the main issue with some Mk 5s is the light weight yoke not intended for 3000 psi service. There were three weights of yoke, the early yoke for 2250 psi service, a slightly heavier one stamped 3000 psi and the late style heavy yoke with a 9/16" yoke screw. If you have the latter, you are good to go.

I have several of the 9/16" yokes sitting around as I converted most of my Mk 5s and 10s to DIN configuration. They are not all that hard to find. Scubapro still sells the Mk 5 annual service kit as well. What is hard to find is a new piston in the event you damage yours as scubapro no longer provides any of the "hard" parts for the reg.

The Pilot is not supported any more in terms of service kits or hard parts and parts are pretty scarce for them. Scubapro did have an upgrade kit for them that basically made them the internal equivalent of an Air 1, and if it's been converted it can use the D400 poppets that are still available.

Here are some additional performance charts for the Balanced Adjustable, AIR1, D300 and G250, from the Navy (NEDU) 1987.

SP-MK9-BA-WoB-1000PSI.jpgSP-MK10-AIR1-WOB-1000PSI.jpgSP-MK10-D300-WoB-1000PSI.jpgSP-MK10-G250-WoB-1000PSI.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom