Scubapro, Oceanic or Cressi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The S555 is basically the S600 without VIVA, or so I'm told. The mk17 is a diaphragm reg which can be used in cold and polluted water.

If I was you I would try to find a MK17 / S600 combination. Good balanced second stage reg (easy to draw air at depth), and a first stage that can be used anywhere in the world.

Have you visited our website Leisurepro.com you will find all those regulators and many more at some of the lowest prices around. Once you have entered the webpage just type in regulators in the search window. Once you have looked them over feel free to contact me about any questions you may have. I will be happy to answer them for you.

Of those three I'd get the Oceanic. I'd suggest you give the Hog/Edge gear a look too.

Scubapro MK25/S600, I dove a set of MK17/S555 set and they are good too but I prefer the higher end MK25/S600 setup for the following reasons. Tuning, if your going to go deep its a nice feature. The MK25/S600 setup is a very nicely balanced setup, I have used it in Belize, Cayman's this year with an AL80 and here is CA with my HP100. The breathing of these regs is awesome. mind you, you can have the shop tune your MK17/S555 to your preferance but the flexability and quality of the higer end equiptment I find very nice.

Maintenance, my LDC swears by the quality of these and the Legend. Someting to listen to when it comes to longevity.

DO YOUR ANNUAL MAINTENANCE with whatever you purchase.

It is impressive that a mechanical system would continue to test to factory specs after 20 years.

That is why I chose Scubapro myself and bought an A700/Mk25 as my first reg system last year.

Just keep your MK25/A700 cleaned after every dive day, and do your annual maintenance. I'll talk to you in 20 years, you'll still be happy with that reg.

If I'm diving local, I'll clean them every afternoon when I get home. If I'm away, I'll clean them in the hotel room with fresh water (just did it last weekend in NY, and I'll do the same in NC this weekend).

Scubapro then oceanic...

ScubaPro makes good gear, but I am troubled by their marketing program and the usually false economy of their "parts for life" maintenance program. I have been very satisfied with Oceanic regulators over the years and have found them to be a quality company that goes the extra yard to assure customer satisfaction. The Hog regulators have established a solid reputation for performance and quality and I like their policy of being willing to train most anyone who is interested in servicing their own regulators.

Scubapro then Oceanic then Cressi, Own all but cressi was the least impressive, had the most problems.

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it. Think I'll go Scubapro first and second, either s555/mk17 or s600/mk17. The first stage mk17 compared to the mk25 I think will suit me fine. I don't know a lot of the differences, but it's certainly cheaper and could be a more reliable reg for my cold water diving. For my occy I am leaning towards the Oceanic Alpha 8 good reviews, high vis hose and good price.
Does all this sound logical thinking? THanks again for all your posts

Regards
Richie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom