SCUBAPRO New parts for life program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But if it's bought as a collectible it will never need service since to dive it would, by any collectors standards, ruin it's value. It'd just be another reg. Over priced, gaudy, and shiny but still just another used reg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is pretty much how I feel; atomic does throw in a few exotic metal parts (titanium levers, etc) but basically they're over engineered SPs. It was smart of them to go back to the cold water system of packing the first stage ambient chamber, but they could have done a lot better with the 2nd stages. None of this really matters, though, all the regs are so far above what's actually needed or even perceived by 99% of divers, that often it does come down to customer service and of course, the Beav's specialty, narcissistic hype.

It is really funny how much atomic 1st stages look like SPEC booted MK10s.

They do seem to have all the best bells and whistles in their designs. But, more importantly, they seem to have a solid reputation for taking care of their customers (divers).

---------- Post added November 21st, 2012 at 05:36 PM ----------

But if it's bought as a collectible it will never need service since to dive it would, by any collectors standards, ruin it's value. It'd just be another reg. Over priced, gaudy, and shiny but still just another used reg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

But if you do not have it serviced at specified intervals, the warranty will be voided. Catch 22.

Dear ams511,

This pretty much expresses my view on SP's new "direction." Please don't misunderstand; I am trying hard not to bash SCUBAPRO. I think SCUBAPRO is superb equipment. I just think Johnson Outdoors Living, LLC, has ruined them. and I think the next year or two will be a watershed moment for SP. I still have some SP equipment; have for years. I just hope they don't turn into AMF Harleys.

SCUBAPRO since 1982, Atomic since 2012, can't wait to what I'm buying in 2042.

Regards,
akeegan2

I understand, but Subgear is Johnson Outdoors "value" line so it makes no sense to give them a lesser warranty than their "top of the line" Scubapro. My understanding is that Scubapro regulators are guaranteed for life. It was just the parts for life program that was discontinued which was foolish on their part. Johnson Outdoors has owned Scubapro since 1974, so they are not a recent acquisition.

It took some digging to find this on one of their European sites:
If I buy a SCUBAPRO product in my country, do I have a life-time warranty worldwide?
Only regulators and some fins are covered by a life-time worldwide warranty to the original owner, provided they have been purchased through an Authorized Dealer. Regarding regulators, they must be serviced every twenty-four months or one hundred dives (whichever comes first) by an Authorized Dealer, using original SCUBAPRO spare parts, in order to maintain the life-time warranty.

But you still have to make your 24-month installment to keep that "life-time" warranty in effect.

BTW, it is interesting to see that the default 1-year warranty provided in the USA is a 2-year warranty in Europe. Do you think they build a better product for that market?

They do seem to have all the best bells and whistles in their designs. But, more importantly, they seem to have a solid reputation for taking care of their customers (divers).

---------- Post added November 21st, 2012 at 05:36 PM ----------

But if you do not have it serviced at specified intervals, the warranty will be voided. Catch 22.

Who cares if it's just a dust collector?

Who cares if it's just a dust collector?

I understand. But based on what we used to be able to find from grey market sources vs authorized dealers, it looks like the value of the cost of getting that warranty was in the $200 to $300 range on their more pricey regs. That is some mighty expensive dust.

Johnson Outdoors has owned Scubapro since 1974, so they are not a recent acquisition.

I did not know that. Thank you for that information.

Still, something seems to be influencing SP's direction in the last few years. Why change something that wasn't broken (except for the one-year service requirement)? Why the deterioration of their customer support, even to their dealers (as I have been told)? SP must be aware of the brewing discontent among their loyal customers, so my real issue is their utter disregard of this growing discontent. Something has changed at SP.

I have not experienced any evidence of a problem with Scubapro's customer support.

As far as I can see ( and it is a blue bird day here in Colorado ) Scubapro is standing behind their gear just as they have for the last 50 years.

A bad feature of an atomic second is their seat saving feature that requires you to have the reg pressurized if you want to soak it otherwise you can flood it. G250V purge lock is a better design imho. The hype about how well they breath compared to other regs is just that - a hype. G250v apeks atx/xtx and many other regs breath just as well. And SP D series regs and Air1 breathes better than all the above including atomics.:)
I used to believe this too.

After attending the Atomic Regulator Technician class last week, I have since found out I was wrong; it will not flood. In the class it was explained, and demonstrated, how it is no more susceptible than any other regulator. The seat saver releases the pressure of the seat, it does not remove the seat from contact.

All my stage regs are Atomic M1s. Just like everyone else, while underwater I occasionally find a reg that has depressurized. The interiors of my M1s show no trace of corrosion as would be expected from flooding.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom