Scubapro MK5 and MK15 Regulators- Can either of these be saved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizbid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Scubapro MK5 regulator that has served me well since 1981 and had it regularly serviced until Scubapro stopped providing parts under warranty. Even then, I diligently had it serviced on a semi-regular basis. This week, on a dive trip, while changing tanks, I was checking my air and air started coming our of the top and it make a very loud farting sound. The tech at the resort said that it was either the piston seat or the piston itself. He didn't even want to open it up since he knew he would not have the parts to fix it.
My other regulator, a Scubapro MK15, I had brought in for routine service, and was told that the intermediate pressure was 200psi, well outside the 138 psi spec range and would be unsafe for diving.
The shop that I have been bringing these regs in for routine service told me that he would not even service them.
My question is can either of these regs be saved or do I sell them on ebay as fishing weights?

When you say air came out the top of the mk5 do you mean the end with the hp seat in it that is opposite of the lp turret swivel? Or is it coming from the ambient pressure vent holes in the spec cap?
The mk5 has a known issue with the swivel retainer. The original ones were made of brass. There were problems with them stretching and sometimes breaking and blowing the swivel off the reg. A steel replacement was issued by SP. Even though they were supposed to be upgraded during regular maintenance many were but not. If your reg still has the brass nut you can get a steel replacement for it. They aren't hard to find.
Both of those regs are easy to service and rebuild kits are still available from various sources even though SP may no longer carry them.
Many people dive with the mk5 and it has somewhat of a cult following. Some consider it one of the best regs ever made by SP.

Both of your regs can be saved. Your LDS, OTOH, is probably beyond saving.

I would be tempted to order a complete set of new equipment, and never talk to them again.

Thanks to all that responded. Oh, believe me, when I walked out of that shop, I knew that I would NEVER do business with this guy again.

I just had a mk10 serviced,
this whole 5/10/15 series are nice regs, worth the parts which are easy for qualified shops to get in the USA. (not so easy for individuals)

They're both easily fixed. The MK15 can be a little tricky for DIY service as it has a unique seat and is a little different from the others in terms of installing the bushings. But the MK5 is a piece of cake and likely your problem is a standard size o-ring. Your dive shop tech is probably just ignorant, so many of them are.

I'm kind of interested in getting another MK15, if you want to send me a PM maybe we can work something out.

The mk5 has a known issue with the swivel retainer. The original ones were made of brass. There were problems with them stretching and sometimes breaking and blowing the swivel off the reg

I don't think this guy's problem has to do with the turret retainer. They were only subject to failure when severely over torqued. The earliest MK5s had a small circlip that held the turret in place; that gives you an idea of how little force there is on that spot.

They're both easily fixed. The MK15 can be a little tricky for DIY service as it has a unique seat and is a little different from the others in terms of installing the bushings. But the MK5 is a piece of cake and likely your problem is a standard size o-ring. Your dive shop tech is probably just ignorant, so many of them are.

I'm kind of interested in getting another MK15, if you want to send me a PM maybe we can work something out.

I don't think this guy's problem has to do with the turret retainer. They were only subject to failure when severely over torqued. The earliest MK5s had a small circlip that held the turret in place; that gives you an idea of how little force there is on that spot.

PM sent re MK15.

I have a Scubapro MK5 regulator that has served me well since 1981 and had it regularly serviced until Scubapro stopped providing parts under warranty. Even then, I diligently had it serviced on a semi-regular basis. This week, on a dive trip, while changing tanks, I was checking my air and air started coming our of the top and it make a very loud farting sound. The tech at the resort said that it was either the piston seat or the piston itself. He didn't even want to open it up since he knew he would not have the parts to fix it.
My other regulator, a Scubapro MK15, I had brought in for routine service, and was told that the intermediate pressure was 200psi, well outside the 138 psi spec range and would be unsafe for diving.
The shop that I have been bringing these regs in for routine service told me that he would not even service them.
My question is can either of these regs be saved or do I sell them on ebay as fishing weights?
hello people from scubaboard!! I'm looking for the procedure of intermediate pressure adjustment in the scubapro MK15, I have the technical Service Referencf & Repair Guide but that part is missing, please help!

Back
Top Bottom