Scubapro MK25 serviced, now problem...what should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tammy, I just was reading some old threads where DA Aquamaster commented that the MK25 should be good up to 300 bar/4350 psi, so it sounds like you are right.

Could it be the tank valve o-ring or has it done this on different tanks? Halo hit the nail on the head-you should first determine where the leak is. Additionally, examine the yoke retainer where it mates with the tank o-ring. Make sure it doesn't have any defects.

A steady squeal means there is a leak somewhere. Find it. Since the leak did not occur until after the service, you really need to determine what might have happened in the service to cause the leak. If it is just a bad o-ring then it is easy to fix. But if some damage was done during service, then it may not be so easy. A incautious stab with a pointed steel pick can destroy a metal part (rather unlikely with a Mk25).

I suggest you locate the leak and then sit with the tech while the cause is being investigated. Make sure he inspects o-rings and sealing surfaces in the area of the leak.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 09:34 PM ----------

Well I pressurized it again with my pony tank and NO squeal at all. So, I am wondering, the tank I was using yesterday was "jammed" to 3400 psi. My pony was less than 3000 psi. Could an over filled tank with higher pressure cause the squealing?

Absolutely. I suspect that you have a seat retainer o-ring that is not quite seated correctly. It might hold at 3000 or less, but give way at 3400.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 10:51 AM ----------

Not likely. I dive frequently twin steels filled to 3600 psi & use MK25's on them all the time & they don't squeal/

That's because they've been rebuilt correctly. This guy's MK25 has not, probably there's a problem with the seat retainer o-ring.

OP, try telling the tech to replace part nos. 01050138 and 01060219, that's an o-ring and a washer.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 10:54 AM ----------

Additionally, examine the yoke retainer where it mates with the tank o-ring. Make sure it doesn't have any defects.

Another likely spot for a HP leak, but my money's on the seat retainer, either the o-ring on the seat itself or the washer/crush seal around the lip of the retainer.

Yep, I agree and my money is with yours. But note that not only is there a change in pressure when the problem occurs, but also a change in tanks. I don't want the op to continue to bring a regulator back to the tech if the issue is with his tank valve.

To the OP-have you tried a different regulator on the 3442 tank? Let's eliminate the simple stuff first.

A steady squeal means there is a leak somewhere. Find it. Since the leak did not occur until after the service, you really need to determine what might have happened in the service to cause the leak. If it is just a bad o-ring then it is easy to fix. But if some damage was done during service, then it may not be so easy. A incautious stab with a pointed steel pick can destroy a metal part (rather unlikely with a Mk25).

I suggest you locate the leak and then sit with the tech while the cause is being investigated. Make sure he inspects o-rings and sealing surfaces in the area of the leak.

I don't think the tech that did the work would let me do that, but there is another here that I believe would. I had also thought of taking a look at the seat o-rings myself.

Yep, I agree and my money is with yours. But note that not only is there a change in pressure when the problem occurs, but also a change in tanks. I don't want the op to continue to bring a regulator back to the tech if the issue is with his tank valve.

To the OP-have you tried a different regulator on the 3442 tank? Let's eliminate the simple stuff first.

I did dive that same tank with my MK11 with no trouble.

I don't think the tech that did the work would let me do that, but there is another here that I believe would. I had also thought of taking a look at the seat o-rings myself. .

He may not like it but you have paid for a service that you have not received. I always pay for things like that with a credit card which gives me certain leverage here in the USA. The tech would have me over his shoulder or he would be contesting a charge back if I had to take is elsewhere to get the job done right.

I understand the idea of bringing it back to the service guy and trying to make him do a better job. But sometimes you just can't make someone do any better than they've already done. You brought it back once; if the guy was competent he would have removed the seat retainer, replaced the o-ring and washer, and replaced it, instead of just "tightening" it whatever that means.

I'd be leaning towards using this as an opportunity to learn to service your own reg. In fact, the thing that got me started on DIY was sub-par work done by a local tech. Sometimes you can turn a negative into a positive.

I'd be leaning towards using this as an opportunity to learn to service your own reg. In fact, the thing that got me started on DIY was sub-par work done by a local tech. Sometimes you can turn a negative into a positive.

I think that is exactly what I will do. I have already started down that road, in that I am rebuilding two 109s and a MK7.

I did that several yrs ago and never look back. Money well spent which is quite rare in scuba diving!
Finding a good technician is another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom