Scubapro: MK25/S600 vs. other Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking at the same set up, but feel Scuba Pro while being a "Mercedes" brand name has competition and run its course with many other reg combos and competition now. With that said and I hope I don't get Scuba Pro flamed....I went with the Mares Abyss 22 to save a few bucks but dive a great reg used by Navy Seals at depth, with great reviews. I also started on an old Dacor full metal in 79 so I had some nostalgia in buying a full metal reg. I love my Abyss. Buy within your budget and you'll be fine.

One of the nice things about Scubapro is that they don't change models all that often and new improvements can be retrofitted into old regulators. I am not sure if Mares is the same way. For example you upgrade an old 80s version 109 to a modern 250V standard.

Tim, I just realized it was you man! How's everything been?
Dude! Life is great! I didn't realize you ended up in Chitown!

Either way, I think work is going to have me out that way a few times a year... next time I'm out there lets meet for a few pints of 312!

Perry, you are comparing sports cars with pickup trucks. The Mk2/R295 is certainly a reliable regulator but it doesn't even compare performance wise and is not much different than what you can typically rent. They are used in rental fleets because they are much less susceptible to abuse than more sophisticated models. The Mk25/S600 will breathe much smoother and easier at any depth you could conceivably dive to. That being said, it performs as well as many other top end regulators like the Aqualung Legend, Apeks XTX200 or XTX50, Any of the Atomic models (they are all the same performance wise), the Edge Gear regulators look promising, they seem to be clones of Apeks and should perform as well and at a much lower price. I personally dive an Apeks XTX200 and have tried many of the top performers mentioned above. I like the Atomics because they can go a long time between service overhauls. They only differ from model to model in features and materials. The most basic model breathes just the same as their top of the line. Service-wise Scubapro, Aqualung, and Apeks are more likely found in the more remote corners of the world so if you are in a jam in Papua/New Guinea or some other backwater locale you can more likely find a tech who can help you.

---------- Post added July 18th, 2013 at 05:30 PM ----------

The Mares "Navy" reg is used by the Italian Navy not the US Navy SEALS. They use any gear they want, the US Navy uses a lot of Aqualung gear like the Conshelf regulator.

FWIW I ended up with a Mk25/S600. Overwhelming amount of positive reviews and encouragement to buy that reg made it an easy choice.

Now it's just time to pick out an octo and console before my next trip.

Did you upgrade your S600 to the metal barrel ? If you have not yet I would recommend it. I have upgraded mine and it sure helps with dry mouth.
Having had the MK25/S600 for 10 years now, I can honestly say it is an amazing set up, that breathes as easy at 130' as at the surface. The $200 extra is worth every penny as even after 10 years, I have 0 desire to change, upgrade etc and plan on diving it another 10+ years or as long as service kits are available.

Nice thing about Scuba Pro is they don't release a new reg every year, and you can confidently buy something knowing they will probably still sell it and parts 20-30 years later lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom