Scubapro: MK25/S600 vs. other Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perry Dives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm fairly new to diving and I'm finally making the investment into my own gear. I just picked up a Scubapro Glide Pro BC and now I need a 1st/2nd stage reg, octo and console. Through research (via the internet and asking professional opinions) it seems like Scubapro is a very solid choice given a good budget. More specifically, the MK25/S600 appears to be one of the best choices out there, albeit a bit more expensive than some other options.

Can I get everyones opinion on why I should go with the MK25/S600 combo versus say, a package of MK2/R295? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? The price difference would appear to be about $200 when comparing leftover 2012 models. I'm not too technically knowledgeable regarding regulators so if everyone could help me out here that would be great.

Just an FYI I currently am only diving in the Carribbean a few times a year with plans for Southeast asia in the future and that's about it.

TIA!

get the 25/600. it is a great reg and much better than the 2/295.

1+ what cerich says.

The Mk2 / R295 is certainly a bullet-proof reliable regulator, and is "good enough" for tropical diving on shallow reefs, but the Mk25/S600 is in a whole different class as far as performance...

As are the regulators that cerich happens to make (EDGE / HOG) ....

And many other brands are also as good....

Lots of great choices our there. Have fun with whatever you end up choosing!

Best wishes.

The best price I have seen on a MK2/R295 is $175 from Leisurepro. The best price I saw on a MK25/S600 is $400 from Beaverdivers. The price differential is a bit more than $200 but if you have the money then I recommend the Mk25/S600, it is a much better performing regulator. Another alternative if you can find it would be a G250V/MK17 combo, it is an excellent performer also as well as a better cold water reg.

I have both of those setups and I use them for different reasons.

The MK25/S600 is a balanced reg and breathes very easily at all depths. The S600 has diver adjustable inhalation effort (I usually have it dialed just short of free-flowing) and the swivel on the MK25 offers a little more flexibility with your LP hoses.

This is my primary regulator setup. It also takes up more space, so I actually flip it upside down towards the tank. I lose the benefit of the swivel, but can still position all my hoses where they should be, and I don't have the added chance of snagging my primary. There are mixed feelings on this, some do, some don't, but it works great either way.

The MK2/R295 uses a downstream piston and isn't as easy to breathe off of. But on the flip side, these things are BULLETPROOF. I use one of these setups on my pony bottle because I know it will always work for me (as long as I turn my air on!) and doesn't take up much space. It's a 50 year old tried and true design.

Just keep in mind the MK2/R295 is discontinued... anything you buy will be older stock (as recent as 2012 but I've come across some as old as 2009 that have been sitting around... while its not a problem, I like my regs to be shiny and new for what I'm paying for them). The current line is the MK2/R195. Still a great reg, but I'm partial to the R295 myself. Since I have an R295 octopus, I'd rather have the same second stage on my ponies.

The MK/R295 the Harley Davidson of the regulator world where the MK25/S600 is a nice fancy Ducati. They both have their merits, and both will have a place in my garage.

The mk2 is dead nuts simple from a maintenance standpoint. If you're gonna spend lots of time in SE Asia you might not have access to parts or a tech, depending on where you are, it may be a better choice.

if you can spend even more money get A700 as a second its an all metal second and have its advantages although the current S600 with metal barrel is good. stay away from plastic barrel S600

Yes, make sure you buy post 2011.

if you can spend even more money get A700 as a second its an all metal second and have its advantages although the current S600 with metal barrel is good. stay away from plastic barrel S600
As much as I like the A700 that reg is HEAVY! After an hour dive, my jaw was sore with that thing. No such fatigue with my S600, and no significant drymouth with the metal barreled version.

Back
Top Bottom