scubapro mk25 - s600 vs apeks xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

17C isn't cold at all. So no need to consider cold water.

I don't think you can go wrong with etiher. Properly maintain, you will not be able to tell the difference. I also suggest XTX50 with DST instead of XTX100/200 for simpler hose routing. Scubapro or Apeks, I would suggest choose one that you can get local support eaiser. Or simply go with better deal. Really, they are both as good as it gets.

17C isn't cold at all. So no need to consider cold water.

According to a online converter it is only 62.6 F. So I don't think he needs to worry about freezing at all.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

I'm taking two Scubapro MK25/S600's to dive Tubbataha.

It is an excellent reg.

I am headed to Cebu now.

Beav, your comment does not really help the discussion along. It would be better if you said something like, "Some people will prefer an Apeks second because the S600 has a plastic barrel but the more recent S600s have a metal air barrel" also.

Apeks FSR 1st stage(usually couple with the 200 series 2nd stage) is the best among its stable mates because you can replace the HP Valve seat(ARCAP in Apeks term).
But the DS4/XTX50 breath as good as the FSR/XTX200 and cost less. Save the money and learn how to service them. More money saving in long term.

Apeks FSR 1st stage(usually couple with the 200 series 2nd stage) is the best among its stable mates because you can replace the HP Valve seat(ARCAP in Apeks term).
But the DS4/XTX50 breath as good as the FSR/XTX200 and cost less. Save the money and learn how to service them. More money saving in long term.

FSR with XTX50 is cheaper still, that's what I use.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 10:09 PM ----------

If you can dive both I would do that and then decide.

What I do not like about the Apeks XTX200 and XTX100 models is the hose routing. People who use them for doubles need to angle them funny. If you want Apeks I recommend the XTX50 with a DST first with 5 ports, the hose routing will be more flexible.

Also there is nothing wrong with using unsealed regs in salt water as long as you clean them properly afterwards. Most of the regs sold are unsealed. If there was a problem then reg failures would be much more common.

Another also. If you want Scubapro, a MK-17 is a sealed diaphragm first. That and a G260 would make a nice combo.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

Not really true. You still need the proper pin spanners (use 2 to make life easier) and they used to require a cover key. Although I am sure there are workarounds. Also there are many workarounds for Scubapro regs also. Check out the DIY forums for innovative uses for old wine corks and chop sticks.

True, but these are not specific to or manufactured solely by Apeks and can be found very easily. But I take your point a reg tech in some far flung location may not have them.

Unless seized on (face plate) a firm grip wearing a rubber glove will usually work just fine.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 10:11 PM ----------

According to a online converter it is only 62.6 F. So I don't think he needs to worry about freezing at all.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

Beav, your comment does not really help the discussion along. It would be better if you said something like, "Some people will prefer an Apeks second because the S600 has a plastic barrel but the more recent S600s have a metal air barrel" also.
Great rep/salesman for SP though, a little bit like rust:wink:

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 10:15 PM ----------

If you can dive both I would do that and then decide.

What I do not like about the Apeks XTX200 and XTX100 models is the hose routing. People who use them for doubles need to angle them funny. If you want Apeks I recommend the XTX50 with a DST first with 5 ports, the hose routing will be more flexible.

Also there is nothing wrong with using unsealed regs in salt water as long as you clean them properly afterwards. Most of the regs sold are unsealed. If there was a problem then reg failures would be much more common.

Another also. If you want Scubapro, a MK-17 is a sealed diaphragm first. That and a G260 would make a nice combo.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

Not really true. You still need the proper pin spanners (use 2 to make life easier) and they used to require a cover key. Although I am sure there are workarounds. Also there are many workarounds for Scubapro regs also. Check out the DIY forums for innovative uses for old wine corks and chop sticks.

For single tank diving I think the FSR and FST route very nicely.

Sorry for the multiple quotes haven't worked out how to separate, bit of a computer idiot I'm afraid.

I would pick SP, the seats on them seem to last quite some time. Besides MK25 offers nicer routing on a single tank. DST with the 5th port will have similar routing but it has non re-placable orifice.
Both regs are of high quality and we are talking Blonde vs. Brunette here.
Apeks enviro seal has a downside of overcompensating with depth which in your conditions will make no difference.
I would first check which regs can be serviced easier in your location and go from there.

For single tank diving I think the FSR and FST route very nicely.

I have a FST first. They route nicely if you are using a normal recreational configuration. If you try to route the hose under your arm using a HOG/DIR/UTD configuration it is not so nice because you have a bend in the hose coming off the first. A DST w/5th port or a MK25 would route better. I also don't like the 1/2 LP port but I guess Apeks did away with that on the newer models.

Agree, FST does not route well for long hose setup at all. I had one and sold it because of the ugly routing. good reg otherwise.

I have a FST first. They route nicely if you are using a normal recreational configuration. If you try to route the hose under your arm using a HOG/DIR/UTD configuration it is not so nice because you have a bend in the hose coming off the first. A DST w/5th port or a MK25 would route better. I also don't like the 1/2 LP port but I guess Apeks did away with that on the newer models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom