Scubapro Mk2 with s550 and R380 - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gilbertpaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Following on from other questions that this forum nailed for me recently a few quick ones on this set up

Any thoughts on this particular set up i.e. Mk2 with the S550 primary ? - only dive warm waters at the mo and wanted a no frills , reliable set up to travel with.

Mk2 seems bullet proof and the 550 gets some nice reviews ? Any thoughts / comments welcomed as not much on the net of this pairing .

Seen a few comments about free flows but does seem to be service / set up related ?

Lastly , if I want to dive air or Nitrox (32 ish) I get them serviced with this in mind and then can pick and chose rather than them be set for one or the other ?

many thanks in advance for your comments - sorry if the questions a bit basic !

Great forum !

should be nitrox compatible right out of the box. says you are in the uk, so apeks might be another choice to look at as the pricing is more competitive in europe it seems.

I cannot comment directly on the MK2.

The S550 is the same as the S600 being a balanced second stage but without the user breathing adjustment knob, it will be adjusted at service time. The user knob can be added for about $US40. The current Scubapro s360 is the same as the S550. No reason for this not to work perfectly with the MK2.

The R380 is a classic downstream reg. I have used these and they are fine. My preference is for the two second stages to be the same then they breath the same, I also service them so I need less parts.

As far as Nitrox goes any regulator should be fine up to 40%.

I expect you are looking at a second hand set, they are likely over 10 years old. How well have they been serviced?

Edit
re the free flow, the s550 has a Venturi assist and if this is set to dive mode when out of the water it can allow a free flow if the regulator is finely adjusted. This is not a fault.

Hi All,

Following on from other questions that this forum nailed for me recently a few quick ones on this set up

Any thoughts on this particular set up i.e. Mk2 with the S550 primary ? - only dive warm waters at the mo and wanted a no frills , reliable set up to travel with.

Mk2 seems bullet proof and the 550 gets some nice reviews ? Any thoughts / comments welcomed as not much on the net of this pairing .

Seen a few comments about free flows but does seem to be service / set up related ?

Lastly , if I want to dive air or Nitrox (32 ish) I get them serviced with this in mind and then can pick and chose rather than them be set for one or the other ?

many thanks in advance for your comments - sorry if the questions a bit basic !

Great forum !

There's nothing wrong with this reg set up at all, but it is a bit unconventional. Usually you'd pair an unbalanced piston 1st stage with an unbalanced 2nd but there's no reason for that other than that's how they sell the reg sets. I'm a big fan of the MK2 because it's ultra simple and reliable and has great flow characteristics for an unbalanced piston. I tend to like the older SP 2nd stages more, like the G250 D300 and especially the older metal case barrel poppet regs (109, balanced/adjustable). But that's just my opinion.

Hi , thanks for the initial comments

yep 2nd hand set , last served dec 2013 so will definitely need another before getting wet !

So all sounds OK if not the normal set up and nothing to worry about ?

The thinking behind the purchase was change to a Mk17 or 25 if I chose to dive here - in the cold !

many thanks all

Paul

Hi , thanks for the initial comments

yep 2nd hand set , last served dec 2013 so will definitely need another before getting wet !

So all sounds OK if not the normal set up and nothing to worry about ?

The thinking behind the purchase was change to a Mk17 or 25 if I chose to dive here - in the cold !

many thanks all

Paul

Not being services since 2013 is not an issue provided it has been maintained well. My minimum service time is two years, but the regs are soaked in a warm bath after each dive.

In Cornwall I don't think that would be classed as 'cold', I don't think your water gets much below 10 Celsius.

No reason however not to change to MK17/MK25 but just keep looking for a low cost second hand one. MK25s are the lost common second hand but can have piston problems and that is expensive to replace, so you need to chick that the IP (Intermediate Pressure) is set right and dies not creep.

If you are getting regs, what are your plans for SPG and computer?

Not being services since 2013 is not an issue provided it has been maintained well. My minimum service time is two years, but the regs are soaked in a warm bath after each dive.

In Cornwall I don't think that would be classed as 'cold', I don't think your water gets much below 10 Celsius.

No reason however not to change to MK17/MK25 but just keep looking for a low cost second hand one. MK25s are the lost common second hand but can have piston problems and that is expensive to replace, so you need to chick that the IP (Intermediate Pressure) is set right and dies not creep.

If you are getting regs, what are your plans for SPG and computer?

Hi T bar

Thanks for the note and good to know

Have seen a nice Apek set of gauges ( depth and pressure) , slimline and new condition . I have a Suunto Stinger as my wrist computer

I believe the regs have been well looked after but will get them checked and serviced before I get the gauges. Only paid £35 for the set ( was listed wrong on e bay) so not much spent so far if they are deemed no good

many thanks

Paul

If you have your computer your really only need the SPG. You can get an SPG in the UK for 60-70 pounds with hose.

Yep agreed , but for a few £ more and not adding much bulk I would like the depth gauge too

Just gives me a back up in case the computer ever failed

One day I will get a spare computer but until then a dual gauge would be handy

thanks for taking the time to post the useful replies

rgds

Paul

Yep agreed , but for a few £ more and not adding much bulk I would like the depth gauge too

Just gives me a back up in case the computer ever failed

One day I will get a spare computer but until then a dual gauge would be handy

thanks for taking the time to post the useful replies

rgds

Paul

There's a bit more to it. The added bulk of a 2 gauge console is cumbersome while diving, and the need for a redundant depth gauge is really very low in recreational diving. If you are diving with a buddy, you simply use his depth data in a pinch if your computer were to fail during a dive. Also, you will want to check depth/time pretty frequently, and air pressure only occasionally once you get some dive experience. This means it's very convenient to have the depth/time info on your wrist and you can clip the SPG on your BC for much of the dive. I think the most convenient is a bare SPG, no boot, on a 24" hose with a bolt snap attached. The boot also tends to collect water; they're not really waterproof and sea water gets trapped in them. This can be pretty corrosive to anything metal in the console.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom