Scubapro Mk2 with s550 and R380 - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree - with the large oval holes and the bead blasted finish it's either a late Mk 20 or an early Mk 25.

If you pop the rubber cover off the back you'll see a thin hex nut looking thing. That's the seat retainer. If it is solid, it's the non adjustable seat retainer of the Mk 20. If it has an recess in the center with an allen head screw (a 6 sided hole) in it, it is the adjustable seat retainer of a Mk 25. If you have that it is for all intents and purposes Mk 25, even if it's an updated Mk 20.

I agree - with the large oval holes and the bead blasted finish it's either a late Mk 20 or an early Mk 25.

If you pop the rubber cover off the back you'll see a thin hex nut looking thing. That's the seat retainer. If it is solid, it's the non adjustable seat retainer of the Mk 20. If it has an recess in the center with an allen head screw (a 6 sided hole) in it, it is the adjustable seat retainer of a Mk 25. If you have that it is for all intents and purposes Mk 25, even if it's an updated Mk 20.

great news !! happy bunny

with cover off this is what i see - are the photos good enough to tell ?

PB272056.jpgPB272057_a.jpg

Mk 20 - non adjustable seat retainer.

The only difference between your first stage and the first Mk 25s made is the seat retainer.

It's a change that makes adjusting IP easier and more precise for the technician - it means nothing for the diver. But if you want to upgrade it, it's probably a US $15 upgrade for the new retainer.

I see the OP's DIN saddle is the three fin version. I don't believe any MK25's were included in the DIN retainer bolt recall. What are the odds that a very late model MK20 would have the DIN update but not the two fin saddle.

I see the OP's DIN saddle is the three fin version. I don't believe any MK25's were included in the DIN retainer bolt recall. What are the odds that a very late model MK20 would have the DIN update but not the two fin saddle.

Thanks again for confirmation

during my research I read about the retainer recall and now got me worried !

So are you saying this hasn't had the recall or because it's a late one it dosen't need it - what's the three fin / two fin bit ? Better worse ?

If it does need the recall is that something they do for free ?

I was hoping to get them serviced and ready to dive at Christmas so time is ticking

Thanks again - great forum - lost without it

---------- Post added November 28th, 2015 at 10:19 AM ----------

me again, just checked the SP website and found the recall info , so 3 fins means its NOT been updated for the recall mod

Is this something my local LDS will still do for free ?

cheers

Paul

So are you saying this hasn't had the recall or because it's a late one it dosen't need it - what's the three fin / two fin bit ? Better worse ? Paul
Sorry if I got you worried, the DIN retainer bolt recall is not a big issue. Most of the MK 20 you see have not had the update. The recall was more to protect your regulator from over torquing of the DIN bolt by scuba techs than a flaw in the bolt itself. As long as the tech working on your regulator is aware of the issue and doesn't over tighten the bolt there is nothing to worry about. I think there is a possibility that Scubapro started replacing the DIN bolts in later MK20's prior to the recall but didn't replace the saddle until after the recall. The saddle itself is just a cosmetic change done so a regulator can be identified as having had the recall update. I believe some early MK25's had the three fin saddle but all had the bolt update. If you are in Europe your local Scubapro shop may not have the update bolts because the recall was in the USA only. If you are comfortable with removing the DIN adapter from your regulator it is easy to recognize the difference between the old and new style bolts.

I disagree that most Mk 20s have not had the retainer update - whether a three fin saddle is present or not - at least in the US. For several years after the recall it was common practice to replace the old DIN and yoke retainers with the newer retainers with the additional lip that prevents over torqueing.

In fact, it's still common practice and the upgrade is still free whether the reg is still under warranty or not - it's just not mentioned much any more as nearly every Mk 20 that has been serviced in the US since the recall will have the new retainer.

I owned one of the last Mk 20s made - in the same configuration as the OP's Mk 20 - and it came from the factory with the new style DIN retainer and the old saddle. I know because I took it apart to update it just after the recall and noted it already had the new retainer - identical to the one in the upgrade kit. Scubapro had in fact recognized the problem of many of the newer techs not understanding how to use a torque wrench and made the change late in Mk 20 production before the recall was done.

More to the point, the Mk 15s, Mk 10s and Mk 10 Plus regulators have the same potential issue as they can also be over torqued but it's never been an issue.

Given the configuration of the Mk 20 the odds are it already has the new retainer. The saddle really means very little.

I disagree that most Mk 20s have not had the retainer update - whether a three fin saddle is present or not - at least in the US. For several years after the recall it was common practice to replace the old DIN and yoke retainers with the newer retainers with the additional lip that prevents over torqueing.

In fact, it's still common practice and the upgrade is still free whether the reg is still under warranty or not - it's just not mentioned much any more as nearly every Mk 20 that has been serviced in the US since the recall will have the new retainer.

I owned one of the last Mk 20s made - in the same configuration as the OP's Mk 20 - and it came from the factory with the new style DIN retainer and the old saddle. I know because I took it apart to update it just after the recall and noted it already had the new retainer - identical to the one in the upgrade kit. Scubapro had in fact recognized the problem of many of the newer techs not understanding how to use a torque wrench and made the change late in Mk 20 production before the recall was done.

More to the point, the Mk 15s, Mk 10s and Mk 10 Plus regulators have the same potential issue as they can also be over torqued but it's never been an issue.

Given the configuration of the Mk 20 the odds are it already has the new retainer. The saddle really means very little.

As always great advice and spot on comments

I can sleep easy tonight and look forward to diving with these regs

a million thanks to you guys and the forum - what a resource !

keep safe , stay wet !

rgds

paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom