Question Scubapro MK18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssoooll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I have a set of regs, Scubapro Mk18 1st stage R380 2nd stage, that I'm looking to buy. Cant seem to figure out if they are sealed ( after looking at previous threads) and if they would be suitable for UK diving all year round.
Thanks for any information.

Sealed as any diaphragm but not environmentally, it’s basically a MK 16 with a turret.
Thank you, so does that mean not recommended for cold water? Not thinking ice diving but still as low as 2 degrees (celcius) in winter

Thank you, so does that mean not recommended for cold water? Not thinking ice diving but still as low as 2 degrees (celcius) in winter
It’s pretty outdated, do you know if it’s been updated? I wouldn’t use it at those temps but I wouldn’t want me in that water either.

In a serendepity kinda way I was on some eurpoean classifieds yesterday asking about an APEKS DST+ATX reg kit; and the dude is selling it because he's trying to get his hands on some Japanese special edition MK18 that are apparently made out of ALU (in part or full; can't say -- my german is quite basic); he says they will be his travel rigs since they are light AF.
Yesterday my account here got approved and I see your thread.

I would look a bit more into that (versioning / material choices); I would assume ALU (very low thermal enthalpy/capacity) would be very bad at being a heat sink, thus not really cold water diving oriented 🤷🏽‍♀️

If any one has more info I for one would wanna know
@ssoooll OP I hope you know more as well

ok curiosity killed the cat...
In a serendepity kinda way I was on some eurpoean classifieds yesterday asking about an APEKS DST+ATX reg kit; and the dude is selling it because he's trying to get his hands on some Japanese special edition MK18 that are apparently made out of ALU (in part or full; can't say -- my german is quite basic); he says they will be his travel rigs since they are light AF.
Yesterday my account here got approved and I see your thread.

I would look a bit more into that (versioning / material choices); I would assume ALU (very low thermal enthalpy/capacity) would be very bad at being a heat sink, thus not really cold water diving oriented 🤷🏽‍♀️

If any one has more info I for one would wanna know
@ssoooll OP I hope you know more as well
apparently these ALU beasts are not just mk18s.
the Japanese Ultra lights are fully made out of ALU.
mk18 UL on Ebay
comapring the mk18 above to this mk20 UL ebay
I cans see that it has "vents" at the top cap (the SP logo); on pictures of the normal mk18 it's much more obv.
as @lexvil mentioned not sealed.

FWIW, the MK18 UL was available in most if not all areas - not limited to the Japan market.

As mentioned by lexvil, the MK16/18s should be updated to prevent sealing issues related to HP seat and orifice. No idea if the update kits are still available from SP, but unless the MK18s are confirmed to have the updates installed it might not be worth the hassle. With that said I still dive my MK 16s and MK18, but did update them years ago after experiencing the sealing problems related to the original seat and orifice.

How do you know of the mk18 has been updated? I have one in a bin we are about to try and put into service. Any ideas on where to obtain the service parts to perform the update?

As far as I know, you will need to open up the regulator to check if update has been done.
See photo below. The new version HP poppet is what you want to see.
If update is needed look for MK16/18 repair updating kit 10756045.

MK16 18 HP poppets.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom