Scubapro Mk16 Setup - Newbie Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmdf

Registered
Reaction score
Having recently completed my OW certification, I've taken the leap and bought my first regulator. I've opted for a Scubapro MK16 with R390 second stage and R290 octopus.

As I was PADI trained, I'm accustomed to having both the primary and alternate second stages on the right hand side of my setup. However, the MK16 comes with 4 Low Pressure ports, 2 of which are designated as High Flow and, according to the manual, recommended for use with the two second stages. One of these high flow ports is on each side of the first stage. As a result, I would have my octopus on the left and my primary on my right.

My question is: as I'm used to having the two second stages configured on the right of my setup, would there be any major disadvantage or risk in hooking up my octopus to the "ordinary" LP port on the right-hand side, while my primary takes up the high flow port on that same side? I'd then need to use the high flow port on the other side of the first stage for either my bcd hose or drysuit hose. My local dive shop advised that this shouldn't be a problem (in fact they actually supplied it configured like this), but I'd appreciate experiences from anyone who actually owns and uses this kit, as I'm concerned that it conflicts with Scubapro's recommendation.

Alternatively, if the advantages are tangible, I could quite happily get used to having the octopus on the left of my configuration. My only concerns are that this differs from my training and is one extra thing to think about at a time when I am trying to concentrate on improving my basic skills.

On a similar note, (and at the risk of sounding really stupid!), is there any "correct" position for fitting the first stage? Is there such a thing as "right way up" or an "upside down", or is just down to comfortable positioning of the hoses?

Would very much appreciate your opinions... thanks.

The first stage will work properly in ANY orientation.

As for the ports, I'm not sure. I have the Mk16, and my second stages both happen to be on the HFP's. I have seen them set up with an octo on the non-HFP as well. (My back-up/octo is an AIR-2, so it actually works better on the left side.)

(Please don't turn this into an Air2 flame thread folks! ... it's been covered already)

The high flow ports have a venturi type assitance designed into them to increase flow rate. It is probably beneficial to have your primary installed on one of the high flow ports but is not a problem to install the octo on one of the regular ports - you will most likely not notice the difference in anything but the most extreme conditions.

That said, it would be yet another reason to dontate your primary to an OOA buddy as they may be more prone to huffing hard on the regulator initially and it may be one time where the extra flow rate would beneficial.

Alternatively, both the R390 and R190 can be configured to have the hose come into the left side of the second stage. This would allow the octo to be on the left side with the mouthpiece still facing you. It is a quick and easy change the LDS should be happy to do for you at no cost if you bought the reg there. It just requires moving the intake body to the other side and swapping a hole plug to the other side of the orifice.

The advantages of having a conventional octo on the left are debateable. If you use a standard octo with the hose entering on the right and route it around the left side, the mouth piece will face the OOA diver and you effectively end up with more hose lenght and eliminate the S shape in the hose. This is an advantage, but only if you believe in donating your secondary.

In the real world, you are far more likely to be mugged by your OOA buddy who will grab the primary out of your mouth regardless of your philosophy about which second stage you should donate. In that case if you have a left side octo with the mouthpice facing the other diver, you are either going to have to bend the second stage around or breathe with it upside down. The first case is awkward and effectively shortens the hose and the second case can result in a very wet breathing or slightly freeflowing second stage.

An Air 2 is also another way to resolve the issue by using the high flow port on the other side. It requires donation of the primary but that is preferable anyway.

So in my opinion, if you swap the octo to the left side, you should get the hose moved to the left side of the second stage. But leaving the octo on the right and using one of the other ports is also no big deal and will work fine.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that my options are open so that I can try a couple of different configurations until I find what I'm happy with.

And I do seem to have plenty of options! As well as knowing I can now mount the octopus left or right, I do also have an AutoAir for my Buddy Commando BCD (although I'm not using it at the moment - replaced it with a standard power inflater), which I believe is equivalent to an Air2. I've read both sides of the argument for using one and remain undecided, but for simplicity's sake in these early days I've gone with an extra second stage as per my training. As my buddy also happens to be my fiancee we are well familiar with each others' kit, so whatever config I go for I can be sure my buddy won't be confused. And my preference at the moment would always be to offer her my primary and use the alternate source, whether the R290 or the AutoAir, for myself.

Again, thanks for the responses... has given me plenty to think about and to experiment with!

I wouldn't recommend doing the octo on the left thing. Although as DA pointed out, it is feesable to mount them from the left or right, most people and yourself included will draaw from training (when the octo was on the right) in an emergency. I would say keep them on the right side for sake of conformity. As for orientation. Most people will keeo the open end down to deter sedement or other crap from settling in there .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom