Scubapro MK16 Problem (Hissing sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi
I've just bought my first set of regs (Scubapro MK16/R390).

Tried them out in the pool last night and was alarmed to hear a distinct hissing sound eminating from the MK16 first stage every time I inhaled. I could only hear this on the surface, and my air didnt seem to decrease by any more than usual.There was no sound during exhalation.

Is this normal for the MK16 or do I have a potential problem?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

paulbanoub:
Hi
I've just bought my first set of regs (Scubapro MK16/R390).

Tried them out in the pool last night and was alarmed to hear a distinct hissing sound eminating from the MK16 first stage every time I inhaled. I could only hear this on the surface, and my air didnt seem to decrease by any more than usual.There was no sound during exhalation.

Is this normal for the MK16 or do I have a potential problem?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

You are probably just hearing the air expanding into the first stage on it's way toward you. For some reason, those seem to be a bit louder than others when listening to the air flow through them. If bubbles are not leaking out - it's normal.

We use those 16 first stages with the 550 seconds for our training gear - and the only thing we've seen is a fair number develop leaks around the diaphragm and have bubbles coming out there... But if no bubbles are coming out - what you're hearing is probably normal.

Thanks Larry. I've contacted Scubapro and they say that what I describe is not normal for the MK16. They say they will replace it free if I can demonstrate the problem to the shop I made the purchase from.

I dont want to take any chances so I think a replacement is the way to go.

Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom