Scubapro mk10 piston wall damage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tr4lover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone servicing a mk10 1st stage and noticed the cylinder wall was pitted. Can it be saved? Picture was to large to input I apologize.

20220511_132445.jpg

It may keep working for a while but to me not worth the bother.

Tr4,

The experts will probably see your post and answer within a few days. Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner and a brass brush? That would be a good start. Most of the surface that looks pitted is probably lost chrome, in areas that don't effect the reg's function. Hard to say from the pics what the condition of the cylinder is that contacts the piston head o-ring.

Anyway, don't trash is yet. (And treat the piston's knife edge like gold.)

Ebay has plenty if you want a new body. That's what I would do. Save all your other parts. Although you might be able to salvage that one.

somebody will come in and tell you to upgrade but don't listen to reason...I love the MK10 and MK5 with a 109. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I always wondered if the damaged plating could be removed with fine wet and dry paper and then replated using this type of process... Nickel?

That looks like cosmetic damage to me. Sanding will do more harm than good and replating it sounds like a lot of hassle.

Rebuild, regrease the piston o-ring well and test. I bet it will work as well as new. If not, you can look for a new body or junk it.

Hey everyone servicing a mk10 1st stage and noticed the cylinder wall was pitted. Can it be saved? Picture was to large to input I apologize.
Depends what you mean with saving.
The chrome came off, that can happen if used heavily or because of negligence.
So you cannot 'save' the chrome, but after cleaning you can polish that area with a Dremel and a Polishing Wheel. After that you can check the smoothness of the area with your finger. Probably it will be okay and technically it is anyway no problem.
In more than thirty years I have thrown away only one MK10 body and very few MK2/5 caps, because the corrosion had been too bad, leaving pits too deep that they could not be polished away.
The only problem with those areas without chrome is, dirt and rubber residues stick easier to these parts as if the chrome would be still intact., so you should check it more often than normal.

I have successfully cleaned up damaged surfaces with Flitz polishing paste and a wool pad on a Dremel. It it isn't really pits but just lost chrome, it is pretty easy.

I dive fresh water, so less fear of additional corrosion attack. You will need to pay lots of attention to rinsing and flushing it, particularly if in salt water.

YMMV

Depends what you mean with saving.
The chrome came off, that can happen if used heavily or because of negligence.
So you cannot 'save' the chrome, but after cleaning you can polish that area with a Dremel and a Polishing Wheel. After that you can check the smoothness of the area with your finger. Probably it will be okay and technically it is anyway no problem.
In more than thirty years I have thrown away only one MK10 body and very few MK2/5 caps, because the corrosion had been too bad, leaving pits too deep that they could not be polished away.
The only problem with those areas without chrome is, dirt and rubber residues stick easier to these parts as if the chrome would be still intact., so you should check it more often than normal.
This

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom